Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sending @mydomain.com via Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on sending @mydomain.com via Sky Broadband within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; Good morning all I realise this probably gets asked a lot but i cannot find a simple answer to this. ...

gibbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

sending @mydomain.com via Sky Broadband

Good morning all

I realise this probably gets asked a lot but i cannot find a simple answer to this.

I have just moved to sky broadband. I previously had broadband provided by a company i used to work for. That company also host my POP3 email and my own personal domain names.

The situation is this:
      I am now a sky broadband user
      My email is hosted by my old company who are an ISP lots of my contacts have my personal email address, i didnt buy a personal email address to have it 'sent on behalf of' somebody else.
      I can receive email i cannot send email however the SMTP settings in Outlook 2010 are smtp.myisp.net and yet i cannot send out any emails.

From what i have read if i use the SMTP address of the company that host my email i should have no issues with sending email from my personal domain names is that correct?
      If that is correct then i do not understand why i am experiencing the problem that i am.

Any assistance would help, i realise i can register via this forum for an SMTP username and password which i may look into if i cannot figure out this problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: sending @mydomain.com via Sky Broadband

What happens when you try to send emails? Do you receive an error message or do emails appear to be sent but never arrive at their destination? Have you received any bounce notification emails from your old ISP?

gibbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

seawright yeah thanks for pointing that out i really should of advised whats happening.

The message is in my 'outbox' there is an error message but of course I'm not in front of my machine currently so cannot remember it exactly but it was error 550 related. I have been in to see my old company today and spoke to a couple of the guys there and they get this request quite a few times, they have given me some things to try. They have said that this does cause quite a few logged job and its getting worse.

They also advised me that it may also state a message implying that you might be listed on a 'spamhaus' type website they have said if you check you wont be.

Tonight i will do a little more troubleshooting and try and post up some of the exact error messages.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Maybe you should apply for a SkyUser SMTP account?
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/skyus...p-account.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Weremog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peacehaven
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Basically Sky's email servers and that of your old ISP are not interoperable i.e. you can not send email from @oldisp.com via your current sky account regardless of Outlook settings. This is a basic security messure to prevent spam from one ISP being sent through another. Skyuser offer a free SMTP service which you can sign up for, or if you need it for business or across multiple pc's Authsmtp (google it) is a more feature rich smtp service but is not free.