Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Weird SMTP problem since returning to Sky

This is a discussion on Weird SMTP problem since returning to Sky within the SkyUser Mail / SMTP forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi all, I've just returned to Sky broadband after being with O2 for 12 months, and since returning I'm having ...

Squirelly666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leyland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Weird SMTP problem since returning to Sky

Hi all,

I've just returned to Sky broadband after being with O2 for 12 months, and since returning I'm having a weird problem with SMTP.

I can't use any SMTP server to send mails over 120KB in size! I have an account with authsmtp.com (that I've used with Sky & O2 for many years) and have just opened one with SkyUser's SMTP server and neither of them work.

I use the Mac email client and If I send a small email it works fine, but if It's above 120KB in size it gets to 'sending data 100%' (in the activity window) pauses for about 20 seconds and then times out. This happens at exactly the same point regardless of which SMTP server I am connected to, and what size the email is.

This setup (authsmtp) used to work fine when I was with Sky in the past, have they changed something in the last 18 months that would have stopped external SMTP servers working correctly?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Weird SMTP problem since returning to Sky

I don't think there is a size limit on the SkyUser one iirc
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Has to be a problem at your end as it not just our SMTP server knocking you back, ours will reject certain emails for no subject field or for anit spam rules.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Thanks

To be honest, I don't think the smtp servers are rejecting the message, they seem to get the whole message and then not close the connection correctly. The error coming back (from a test I just ran on my mac mini SLS smtp server to authsmtp.com) is :

Jan 4 00:53:13 yamj postfix/smtp[12100]: A634211E75D: host mail.authsmtp.com[62.13.128.193] said: 421 4.4.1 collect: read timeout on connection from xxxxxxx.bb.sky.com, from=<xxxx@xxxxxx> (in reply to end of DATA command)

I've filtered out my email address and sky hostname part, but the SMTP error is error 421. Just looked this up and that error usually means that an SMTP server is unavailable for a 'transient reason' and the server should be available again if the client retries again at a later time. But then the text of the error says 'read timeout' which makes me think that 421 is a little generic, and the real reason for my error is a connection problem.

Googling the complete error message I can find a couple of people who run SMTP servers who are getting this error message, from clients who are not putting the final '\n' at the end of the final packet of an email message, so the server has received the whole message but doesn't know it has because it hasn't received the ending it expected, so waits for it for a while then timesout. This seems like the problem I'm having, but I can't see it being caused by my email clients because this is happening with every email I send over a certain size, from all the email clients I have access to (iMac, Win7 laptop, iPhone, iPad and Mac Mini Server).

Could the fact that I'm using my own router be something to do with it? I don't really want to use the sky provided router (s@gem) as the one I had last time wasn't very good, and didn't support 'hairpin (loopback) translation' which I need to run my own server.

To be honest I'm getting a little stumped, it must be something to do with my config, but I can't for the life of me work out what....

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Could the fact that I'm using my own router be something to do with it? I don't really want to use the sky provided router (s@gem) as the one I had last time wasn't very good, and didn't support 'hairpin (loopback) translation' which I need to run my own server.
      Try it briefly it will answer your question.

No one else has reported any issues with our SMTP that I am aware of, so it kind of rules our server out.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Just tried the s@gem and it works fine with that, so it must be my router that was causing the problem but I can't see any obvious reason why.

I think I can get around the loopback problem using my internal dns server, so I can stick with the S@gem for the time being and look into what was causing the problem with my router when I've got a spare couple of hours to have a play.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Glad you got it working, keep us posted on how things go.
      "To help would be a great adventure"