Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Multiroom installation questions

This is a discussion on Multiroom installation questions within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, Ive had a look and cant find the answers in the forum. Im getting multiroom on saturday but im ...

bezza123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Multiroom installation questions

Hi,

Ive had a look and cant find the answers in the forum. Im getting multiroom on saturday but im a little concerned that the second box needs to be connected to the phone line as I dont have a phone socket upstairs.

Does this mean i have to somehow have a phone socket installed? if so how? i dont wont holes drilled in the ceiling and telephone wires hanging all over the place?

Surley most people have their second box in the bedroom and i would have thought a lot of people wouldnt have a phone socket there?

Ive seen these wireless phoneline extenders like this one eBay.co.uk: 50M Wireless Phone line extender cable tivo/ sky box (item 120094759943 end time 08-Mar-07 12:26:00 GMT)

Has anyone got any experiance with these? Do they do the job?

Thanks,
      Wayne

2. Advertisement
      Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Multiroom installation questions

The installer will run a thin telephone cable along with the feed from the LNB (or the 2 feeds if it's for Sky+) into the room through the wall. The phone cable is then terminated with a BT type socket) the extension lead type, not the wall box type).

swd
      swd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Bezza

Did the Wireless Phone Line Extender work? I am having Sky HD fitted on Monday and the Mrs doesn't want all the unwanted wires!

Your feedback would be appreciated. I have a separate network connectors already behind the TV (for my 360) so I don't need to use phone line to go online.

Thanks

Andy

AndyMc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

My Parents had sky+ fitted downstairs last week and their old standard sky box moved upstairs as part of a multiroom setup. The engineer rigged up a long extension cable to connect the Sky+ box to the phoneline in order to activate it and then disconnected it saying that he would leave them the extension cable in case sky said "Plug the box in" rather than run cable all over the house (only telephone line was downstairs and even then was a bit away from the living room where the tv is) The engineer told us that the phone connection was only for activation of the box, and since the upstairs box was already active, then a permanent connection was not really needed. Yes I know you get all the box office stuff etc but the temp cable will suffice for my parents should they need to use it.

hope this helps

(another) Andy

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As far as I understand it, if you have a Sky Mulitroom Subscription, then you have to have both boxes connected to your phone line all the time, not just for the first year.
      The idea is to stop you from giving your box and cheap subscription to a friend/ relative. If you do not then Sky just charge you for a double sub at full rate.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc1 View Post
      My Parents had sky+ fitted downstairs last week and their old standard sky box moved upstairs as part of a multiroom setup. The engineer rigged up a long extension cable to connect the Sky+ box to the phoneline in order to activate it and then disconnected it saying that he would leave them the extension cable in case sky said "Plug the box in" rather than run cable all over the house (only telephone line was downstairs and even then was a bit away from the living room where the tv is) The engineer told us that the phone connection was only for activation of the box, and since the upstairs box was already active, then a permanent connection was not really needed. Yes I know you get all the box office stuff etc but the temp cable will suffice for my parents should they need to use it.

hope this helps

(another) Andy
      Total balls!When Sky try to do a call-back & get no reply as the phone line is'nt connected, you'll get 3 warning letters & then charged full price on the second box sub!