Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

s/h sky+ box come with card.... will previous owner get charged ?

This is a discussion on s/h sky+ box come with card.... will previous owner get charged ? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I've PM'd him this morning and this was his reply... "As to the card - yes, I forgot about that. ...

carlejo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: s/h sky+ box come with card.... will previous owner get charged ?

I've PM'd him this morning and this was his reply...

"As to the card - yes, I forgot about that. What happened was that, after I ordered the HD upgrade, they sent me a new card which really pleased the installer, as all he had to do was connect the HD box and that was him, as the new card saved him from having to call Sky and have the old card paired with the new HD box.

Therefore, I suppose I don't need the old card, although I did intend to hold on to it just in case Sky asked me about it so"

So, if I use this box on multiroom will I have to connect a phone line to it ?....it's working fine now.... how will sky know that I have this third box ?... surely it's working as a freeview box....
      cheers
      Carl

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just to re-iterate.... the third box is working fine and all the channels seem to be there except local channels are scottish BBC, etc...
      thanks
      Carl

lowmans is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: werrington
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds good to me. Sky will not know you have a 3rd box (what business is it of thiers?). If its working and your getting all the channels you want then why change anything. If you want your regional channels find them in the channel listing and add them to your favourites.

Does the recording work? If it does lucky you as this is a pay service. If the seller isn't being charged for the subscription service on his old card then why change anything? He's happy, your happier.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The plot thickens..... recording will not work ..... is this down to previous owners contract ?.... did he have record facility activated ?

I have done a full system rebuild and still will not work..... I have received another " new card" from sky today though.......if I pair the new card with this third(new box) but locate it where my second box it situated(with tel connection) and tell sky that my previous box went bang, will this work ?

Basically, second box could go upstairs with it's own matched card.... this will save me hassle as I don't have to run a tel cable upstairs as well(but has tel got to be connected to have the record facility ?)

Then third box can go downstairs(where second box is now) and I can tell sky that this is my new box and I obviously will have to pay multiroom for that..... hopefully, I wont have to pay multiroom for the third box upstairs as that box already has it's own matched card and the record facility works on this box.

Thoughts please
      Cheers
      Carl

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

all this to save 10 a month.... and the hassle of the tel line as well

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

another update.... I've now found out(too late now!!) why recording would not work properly......

I attempted to use the new card that sky supplied today and the sky woman told me that I must use my existing card from second box!!..... I told them a white lie and said that my second box had "died" and I bought a S/H replacement.....it still would not record.... sky woman told me to check the f connectors at the back of the box and they still seemed ok..... basically, it would still only let me record one channel and not watch another, it said "satellite signal not received"...... I let the woman go about her business and then I carried on trouble shooting.

I stripped back the cables and re-connected the f connectors and now its working as it should be, recording ok, and able to watch another channelat the same time....

Now if I use this third box with it's original card(bought from somewhere in Scotland) it I will obviously receive BBC Scotland as main local channels, etc.... this is not a problem but will the record facility still work without a phone line connected if it's placed in the upstairs bedroom.....

I can then use my second box back in it's original position(with it's own card which is still working) connected to phone line and pay for multiroom on that box, and hopefully no charge for the third box in the bedroom.... what are your thoughts please guys......

Cheers
      Carl
      Last edited by carlejo; 02-03-07 at 09:25 PM.

myerss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Werrington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You only have to have the phone line connected in the first 12 months of your Sky TV contract (if you upgrade your service from Sky to Sky+, multiroom etc, then the 12 months restarts). So you will not need the phone line connected to the s/h box as you have no contract with Sky for this service. The phone line is only for some of the interactive services (games, get your bill on screen, internet through sky box and stuff), you don't need it for recording or watching channels.

The s/h box and card you have cannot contact Sky to tell them who you are and where you are :-)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So if i use the third box that I just bought(that came with it's own card which is also giving me all the channels).... will this work in another room without the need for tel line to be connected ?... will the recording facility still work ?.... will the previous owner of box/card be charged ?
      thanks
      Carl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12