Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Displaying 4.3

This is a discussion on Displaying 4.3 within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; My Aunt has recently got Sky+ on my recomendation. But although the engineer set up the main widescreen tele in ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Displaying 4.3

My Aunt has recently got Sky+ on my recomendation. But although the engineer set up the main widescreen tele in the living room and that works fine, she has got a 20" 4.3 Tv in the dinning room and a 15" 4.3 Tv in the bedroom, both of which are running from the second Rf output on the Sky box. Within the setup menu on the Sky box there is a setting to display second Rf output in 4.3 rather than widescreen. Now no matter how I set it everyone on the second Tv's look very tall and skinny!! The only way I can get the picture on the second teles to look right is to set both Rf outputs of the Sky+ box to display the picture 4.3 which of course mucks up the picture on the widescreen!!
      Any idea's anyone ??
      Had the same problem round a mates about 2 months ago but he wasn't bothered cos he said he didn't watch much tele in beds anyway!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Have you tried swapping the rf's around so the others are on rf1 and not 2, and tried changing rf1 to 4:3?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      some 4:3 tvs have a 'letterbox' mode so that they can handle a W/S picture.

Now if you have that switched on and sending it a 4:3 signal, it could cause problems as it would be trying to format a picture into 16:9 letterbox style with a 4:3 picture being input.

I'm sure you have, but check that the TV setting is set to 4:3 or normal as opposed to anything like letterbox etc.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have tried connecting to RF 1 output but that one seems to be tied in to the scart output which is feeding the widescreen ie if you set it to 4.3 the scart ouputs 4.3 and the same if you set it to widescreen which again doesen't display correctly on the 4.3 teles.
      I've had a look for the letterbox mode and cant find anything in the menu, both secondary teles are Philips with a similar menu.
      Its not a major issue I guess she can live with it but it is just bugging the hell out of me.

myerss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Werrington
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      RF2 will only display 4:3 as long as no-one is using the remote on the TV set to widescreen. The Sky box can only display one aspect ratio at a time.

If you use the remote on the Sky box it will display the aspect ratio for the main screen (in your case widescreen), if you then use the remote through the 'magic eye' it will then display the secondary aspect ratio. You can only have one or the other not both.

If your 4:3 TV's have a letter-box mode then set the RF2 output on the Sky box to widescreen and set the small TV's to display letterbox. Then you will be able to watch all 3 TV's at the same time with no problems. If you do not have letterbox mode then you will have to press the 'Sky' button on the remote to change the aspect ratio depending on which TV you are watching.

The only way you can watch different aspect ratios on different TVs at the same time is to have Multi-room which uses a different Sky box for each TV.

Hope this helps.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Great cheers now it is making alot more sense! now one last question is there any easy way to switch it without using a magic eye and without going all the way into the menu?

myerss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Werrington
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      The simple answer is no. The switching is controlled only by the remote through the magic eye or the Sky box.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok thanks for your help mate! At least that clears it up, right off in search of a magic eye now! lol.