Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Box Dials Out

This is a discussion on Sky+ Box Dials Out within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, My Sky+ box seems to keep dialing out down my telephone line, the green light on the front comes ...

Jack_155Q4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky+ Box Dials Out

Hi,

My Sky+ box seems to keep dialing out down my telephone line, the green light on the front comes on and if I pick up the phone I can hear a computer generated voice saying numbers like 726630 etc - also I can here that sort of clicky noise we used to get before tone dialling, I think its called pulse dialling, it doesnt this at the same time when I can hear the numbers, its been doing it for a couple of months - Iv had Sky+ a couple of years.

Any ideas?

Thanks
      Jack

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      After your initial 12months, You can disconnect it from the line unless you book Sky Box Office movies through it!

Sky only want customers who have MultiRoom to keep it plugged in so that they can check you still have the boxes and that you havent got rid of them!

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi

its phoning sky to check your updates are up to date also with information regarding what ur viewing etc [big brother is watching you]unplug it as it can dial out maybe 20 -30 times a day and after the 12 month contract u dont need to keep it in [the card updates through satelite if no phone plugged]

Thanks

Many thanks,

We have Sky+ and 2 other normal boxes, does it need to be plugged in still?
      Last edited by Jack_155Q4; 06-11-06 at 11:28 PM.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      nope u can unplug it [only after the 12 months] and your multiroom boxes? should work fine

Thanks

cheers m80

aspect is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Box Dials Out

The T&Cs for a standard STB permit an opt out fee of 25 for a no phone connection. Does the same apply to Sky+ without multiroom either as a new install or an upgrade? On other forums there is considerable confusion.

NickS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Seethelight FTTH
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Just unplug it. If they notice your phone line is no longer connected, and you're still in your 12 month contract, all they do is send you a letter giving you a certain time to reconnect. You do not need to connect to a phone line to use Sky+ despite what Sky say, I have had this confirmed by an engineer. If you have multiroom, though, all the boxes must be connected as they do check regularly to make sure they're at the same address to qualify for the reduced subscription

traineetech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_155Q4 View Post
      Many thanks,

We have Sky+ and 2 other normal boxes, does it need to be plugged in still?
      Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      nope u can unplug it [only after the 12 months] and your multiroom boxes? should work fine
      Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
      Just unplug it. If they notice your phone line is no longer connected, and you're still in your 12 month contract, all they do is send you a letter giving you a certain time to reconnect. You do not need to connect to a phone line to use Sky+ despite what Sky say, I have had this confirmed by an engineer. If you have multiroom, though, all the boxes must be connected as they do check regularly to make sure they're at the same address to qualify for the reduced subscription

spot on after 12 months u don't need to have digibox connected unless u view box office or play games then it's handy as it will save you a booking fee for booking box office over the phone, if u have more than one box then they need to be connected at all times as part of the multi room t&c's if ur sky plus works the same way as anyother box when doing a callback to sky should only really be about once a month if it's more than that then it may be a fault with the box goto services then 4,0,1,select int hat order u should then be in the installer then goto 3 for telephone settings and make sure dialing type is set to tone if your telephone number is withheld (everytime u dial out if unsure call a mobile to check if number appears or not) and u use a bt line make sure the dialing prefix is set to 1470 if the box still keeps dialing out all the time it may be a faulty box phone sky on 08705 800800 for further help