Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

problems with recording while simultaneously watching another channel and vice versa

This is a discussion on problems with recording while simultaneously watching another channel and vice versa within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; hi all, apologies if i've put this in the wrong place, i'm a new user of the site.. something funny's ...

jeremybrett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

problems with recording while simultaneously watching another channel and vice versa

hi all, apologies if i've put this in the wrong place, i'm a new user of the site.. something funny's started happening with my sky plus box, if i'm watching a programme it'll let me record it while i'm watching it or if the TV's switched off but hasn't been switched to a different channel, but if i try to look at another programme somewhere else it'll show a screen with a message saying it's not receiving a satellite signal and i should go to the sky web site to find out what to do about it, which just tells me to switch the box off and on again which is never a permanent solution.. and if i'm watching a programme on one channel and try to set it to record another on a different channel it won't do it, it'll show up as a 'failed' recording in the place with the recorded programmes, and if i try to look at that channel where i'm trying to record the programme that screen will show up again, 'the sky box isn't receiving a satellite signal', which i know it is, the cables, dish, box, and TV are all fine as far as i know, anyway i can see programmes just fine if i'm not trying to record something so there's nothing wrong with the dish receiving signals.. okay can anyone tell me what needs to be done about this, and what's the problem here exactly in the first place, does sky want more money for the privilege, is there something wrong with the software, is it because the pipes aren't wide enough or something and it can't handle more than one thing at a time because of that (it's a possibility when you don't understand how these things work).. and if it's that the software needs updating or reinstalling, how should i do that? thanks in advance to anybody who's able to help me out

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: problems with recording while simultaneously watching another channel and vice versa

Hi jeremy.

The symptoms you describe are consistent with having only one working satellite feed.
      If you press [services] on the remote & navigate to settings, then signal, what strength & quality percentages are shown for both inputs?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: problems with recording while simultaneously watching another channel and vice versa

hi, thanks for responding.. it doesn't tell me what the percentages are as numbers, but the signal and quality bars for input 2 are both at zero, the signal bar for input 1 is around 60%, and the quality for input 1 jumps between 60 and 70%.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Check the 2 dish inputs on the back of the box are firmly in place. If they are OK swap the cables over and check the signal again. If the condition is still there but reversed, ie Input 1 has no signal, it means the cable or LNB is faulty. If input 2 still has no signal, then the problem is in the box. Either way its probably going to take an installer to sort it out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i probably should have tried this in the first place, when i tried to pull the input plugs one of the cables broke away, it seemed fine earlier when i'd just looked at it, now a bit of tape's fixed everything.. thanks for all your advice