Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DRX890 Blue Screen of Death!!

This is a discussion on DRX890 Blue Screen of Death!! within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello: About a month ago I upgraded my DRX890 with a Seagate Pipeline ST2000VM003 HDD (slowed down) and at first ...

The Artful Dodger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question DRX890 Blue Screen of Death!!

Hello:

About a month ago I upgraded my DRX890 with a Seagate Pipeline ST2000VM003 HDD (slowed down) and at first everything worked a treat! The planner (Version 6) showed I had 89% left and I was on top of the world!

Lately, however, I have never seen the storage go below 89% and most disturbing, I am now getting "recordings" that are only a Blue screen! When I attempt to fast forward, the icon does not show any time and nothing happens. If I go to the end of the "recording" I get the same thing! Something is obviously wrong but I can't figure out what it is - it would seem to be that the HDD won't record past that 89%. If I delete something I can then record again, but only a bit!

Has anyone seen this behaviour and, most importantly, does anyone know what I've done wrong and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance.

Sparky

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks

Re: DRX890 Blue Screen of Death!!

Did you format the new drive using ExPvr before you fitted it? Have you done a Sky+ planner re-build recently? If not, try it and see if that makes a difference. Planner rebuild can be accessed from the hidden system menu (services 0 0 1 select).

Thanks

Hello, SeaWright:

I tried the planner rebuild but that didn't let me play a video that was already recorded - however, I don't know how to force the box to fail, so I'll go on to your next (first, actually) question.

I don't recall all of the steps I took to copy the image file I'd created from the old drive. If I hadn't formatted the drive, would ExPVR allow me to copy that image file to an unformatted drive? If so, then that might have been the problem. However, if ExPVR required me to first format the drive, then that doesn't seem likely.

Sparky

Thanks

If you used ExPvr then everything should be ok. The problem is that if fitting a blank 2TB HDD the boxes system reset will only format the first 1TB and leave the remainder blank (unusable).

Thanks

I am concerned about the 89% - the space was 89% when I first installed it, once I saw it go to 90% (but that's not going beyond the 89%) but I have never seen it go below 89%! Do you think it's worth all of the hassle (someone said it's like cutting one's toenails with a chain saw!) to remove the drive, create an image from what's there, re-format the drive, and put the image back on? Do you know which file system it is supposed to be (NTFS< FAT< etc.?)

Thanks for your help!!

Sparky

- - - Updated - - -

Another option would be (but perhaps it wouldn't work & a lot more work) to remove the drive, make an image, put the drive back in, do a total system reset (which I believe removes everything from the HDD), then remove the HDD again, restore the image, and re-install the HDD?

Sparky

Thanks

Restoring the image probably wouldn't help as any corruption of the drive would remain when the drive was restored from the image file. The filesystem used is a modified version of FAT32. The differences are significant so currently the only programme available to manipulate this filesystem on a PC is ExPvr. If you were using a registered version of ExPvr you might like to contact the programme's author or await an answer to your posting on the ph-mb.com forum website.