Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upgrading amstrad drx280 to amstrad drx895

This is a discussion on Upgrading amstrad drx280 to amstrad drx895 within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi all I'm not normally one for doing this but I can't find a post about it anywhere driving me ...

Mikeerhymes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upgrading amstrad drx280 to amstrad drx895

Hi all

I'm not normally one for doing this but I can't find a post about it anywhere driving me mad

I've upgraded from my amstrad drx280 to amstrad drx895. From what I have read it is NOT possible to transfer the saved content directly from the old Sky+ to new HD??

The only way to do it is to transfer from my Sky+ to a non Darwin HD box (which I don't have) then from the non Darwin HD to my new 1Tb box. Is that right??

Is there no other way around this? People talking about non Darwin images etc. not sure how that would help without having the physical non Darwin HD box!?

If anyone would clear this up for me that would be awesome!!!

Cheers
      Mike

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Upgrading amstrad drx280 to amstrad drx895

Currently it is not possible to transfer the contents from a Sky+ STB to your new STB.

The only non-Darwin Sky+ HD STB is the Thomson and this will never have Darwin.

As mrmt32 has pointed out, the required software to transform a non-Darwin drive to a Darwin drive has been removed from all Sky+ HD STBs that are now using the Darwin file system.

Your current options are:

• do nothing and loose the contents
      • record them onto a DVD or PVR before your new STB arrives
      • copy any Free-to-Air content to your PC (use +Extract for this purpose)
      • keep the drive until someone such as mrmt32 has released a new program that will merge your Sky+ drive contents with the Sky+ HD contents
      • use the old Sky+ STB for a multi-room box

Most of the content that you have is likely to be repeated periodically. You may wish to re-record it in HD if you have an HD TV.

Over the Christmas period I copied a friend's Sky+ contents onto a DVD for her with my DVD recorder. When we actually looked at the list it wasn't as bad as we were anticipating since it was her multi-room STB and whilst it has been in use for some time, most of the contents had already been recorded on the newer STB in HD. In the end there was just a few items from the News.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms