Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Dilema to leave sky or virgin?

This is a discussion on Dilema to leave sky or virgin? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I currently have my TV from Sky but my phone and broadband from Virgin. I have just bought a HD ...

DarlingtonDave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Dilema to leave sky or virgin?

I currently have my TV from Sky but my phone and broadband from Virgin. I have just bought a HD TV and am considering moving all to one provider.

Contacted Sky about switching phone/broadband to Sky and upgrading to HD. Told I need a new box but it's free but monthly charge will increase 10.25. Then told to get sky anytime as well I ned to be on Broadband unlimited and skt talk. This is approx 20/month but free for 3months. Anyway eventually my bill will go up 30.
      I currently have full sky sports and movies plus 1 multiroom so your looking at 92/month for it all.

Virgin have offered me a Tivo box which give free HD apparently and the full package for 80/month and the TV is free for 3 months.

Sky will charge me for a phone line cost which could be 30 the lady said whereas Virgin charge me 50 to set up but will save that back in first 3 months easily.

Now the dilemma is which to go with as I much prefer Virgin's broadband as it is really good and quick but Sky TV choice is better but not by much.
      Neither is prepared at the moment to do anything more for me but I expect when I phone one eventually and say that's it I'm leaving they might do a better discount. But which do I go for I really cant decide.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Dilema to leave sky or virgin?

Three things to consider. What do Virgin charge for multi room and have you factored this in?

If you want the best of HD, Sky have over 50 channels, how many do Virgin offer?

If you are considering Sky broadband, make sure you can get an LLU connection. Don't even think about Connect.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DarlingtonDave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Multiroom is 6.25 a month or so I was told but I maybe need to be sure that covers the other room.

My problem Isitme is I have been with Sky now over 15 years and have no contract tie in as with Virgin and both can be good and bad at times. But like everyone I suppose I just want to save some money as the two bills seperatley for TV and phone etc are just over 100/month. Now Sky's saving isn't a lot and that said Virgin's is only 20 but it is 240 per year.
      As for the HD channels I haven't had any yet so more with one or the other isn't a big factor for me as you can miss what you didnt have.
      Now if Sky were to drop to the Virgin price and do the lot at 80 I would probably swap but the lady on the telephone wont budge as those are "the prices". Now reading your forums it seems people get some good deals but what is the number or who should I ask for or is the lady right that is the price?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The best deals seem to be given out by the cancellations department. To get these you have to be prepared to actually be cancelled as some agents will just say OK and click a button to cease your account. Some have sweeteners which they can offer to users who want to leave. Just call the main Sky number and tell them you want to cancel and you will be put through.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.