Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Possible to make Sky HD+ box to change to channel when recording?

This is a discussion on Possible to make Sky HD+ box to change to channel when recording? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Yep, thanks for the heads-up. OK - after a bit of a look, I've found that the reason the coaxial ...

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Possible to make Sky HD+ box to change to channel when recording?

Yep, thanks for the heads-up.

OK - after a bit of a look, I've found that the reason the coaxial to TV connection is crap is because of the splitter. It's a very old plastic Y splitter. Take that out of the equation and the picture's fine! Now if I can find a better splitter, I could split it between the TV and the DVD Rec - that way I would've got rid of an annoyance I had before - namely whenever Freeview was recording, I was unable to watch Sky. Cabling/connectors aren't my forte, but I'm not a complete idiot - I can work stuff like that out.
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Is it an HD box you have. I think Sky now supply these instead of the old Sky+ box. If you have, I wonder if you put your box into single feed mode it would do as you want and change the channel when a recording comes on. This would work the same as your old basic box and would and you would only be able to watch/record one program.

I can't really see why you would want to do this as it is defeating the purpose of have a modern box. Better to do as suggested and record them to the boxes HDD then transfer the recordings at your leisure. You can probably do this by using the RF2 output on the Sky box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Depending on your budget, you may wish to keep an eye on a future development that may be added to the SkyHD STB. This STB is targeted at Multi-room setups. A post back in December included news that Sky were considering adding a feature so that you could use a SkyHD STB to interrogate the drive on the Sky+ HD STB.

This would mean that you could record something on the Sky+ HD and watch it on the SkyHD STB at your leisure. You could then record whatever it is off the SkyHD STB.

You may also wish to look at the feature available on this forum on upgrading the hard drive in the Sky+ HD STB. This would mean that you are no longer limited to 250GB of storage space. I upgraded mine to a 2TB drive some time back and I have lots of space to record things.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is it an HD box you have. I think Sky now supply these instead of the old Sky+ box. If you have, I wonder if you put your box into single feed mode it would do as you want and change the channel when a recording comes on. This would work the same as your old basic box and would and you would only be able to watch/record one program.

I can't really see why you would want to do this as it is defeating the purpose of have a modern box. Better to do as suggested and record them to the boxes HDD then transfer the recordings at your leisure. You can probably do this by using the RF2 output on the Sky box.
      No, you're right - now I've had it for a day, I can see that the advantages (no more rows when I want to record something when nephew's watching i-Bloody-Carly) more than outweigh the disadvantages. It is a HD box. As a matter of interest though, is putting it into single feed mode something that can be done through the menus? I could do that overnight and switch it back the next day. If it involves lots of cable swapping, I'll leave it as it is. Everything is working better than I thought it would today, including my Magic Eye, so I'd rather not 'rock the boat' by touching any cables.

I would say one thing though: my mum is pretty useless when it comes to technology. Before today, switching to Sky simply involved pressing the Sky button - that would automatically send the TV to AV1, where Sky used to live. Now it lives at HDMI-1, pressing Sky doesn't seem to do the same thing anymore. Is there a way round that? That way, if she wants to watch Sky, she knows it's just a single button press. She's elderly and doesn't remember things well. The TV's remote doesn't have an 'HDMI' button the way my Samsung upstairs does - which is a pain, as it would solve the problem being a single button press itself.
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

is putting it into single feed mode something that can be done through the menus?
      It is done through the menus but I don't know if it would work if you have 2 feeds connected. I am not sure why you would want to do it overnight. Remember you can record 2 channels at once, watch one live and record one or record 2 and watch one which has been previously recorded. If you have an independent aerial connection to the TV, you can watch the TV live and record 2 Sky programs. It has some critics, but the Sky+HD boxes are a tremendous advance on the old VCR or DVD recorders.

As a bonus, even if you don't pay the HD subscription, you can still watch the free terrestrial based channels like BBC1HD on an HD telly.

If you tune the Sky Remote to the TV the Help button enables you to switch between modes, TV, HDMI.AV1 etc. It is a lot easier than fiddling around with a 2nd remote. Last thing at night I switch off the TV by pressing the TV button then the Power. In the morning I press the Power button(which switches on the TV) then the Sky button to take it to Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12