Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dholdi

new member to the forum wishes to air a problem regarding a two year old Thomson sky+

This is a discussion on new member to the forum wishes to air a problem regarding a two year old Thomson sky+ within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi I am a new member to the forum despite being 82 years old but hopefully still possessing a few ...

peter rutter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: SKY TV BASIC PACKAGE
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

new member to the forum wishes to air a problem regarding a two year old Thomson sky+

Hi I am a new member to the forum despite being 82 years old but hopefully still possessing a few marbles.
      I have a two year old Thomson sky+ box that now displays the loss of all the sky+ features. All the channels are accessible.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: new member to the forum wishes to air a problem regarding a two year old Thomson

It is highly likely that you are experiencing a PSU problem. If this is the case, then you could consider calling Sky out and paying 65 for the call out. This could result in them swapping the STB for a replacement and hopefully they would change the LNB too as it is common for a failing PSU to cause the LNB to become problematic too. You would have a 3 month warranty for this work, but you may have a replacement Sky+ or Sky+ HD STB.

The alternative is log in to the Sky website and look at your upgrade options to a Sky+ HD STB. Again the LNB should be changed. This has the advantage that you would have a 12 month warranty on the new box.

You do not need to subscribe to the HD channels to use the Sky+ HD STB, but often Sky charges a little more if you don't. Personally I would suggest that the HD sub is worth it if you have a HD TV.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: new member to the forum wishes to air a problem regarding a two year old Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by peter rutter View Post
      Hi I am a new member to the forum despite being 82 years old but hopefully still possessing a few marbles.
      I have a two year old Thomson sky+ box that now displays the loss of all the sky+ features. All the channels are accessible.
      First thing to try is to switch the box off at the mains. Switch on again, wait 5 minutes, then try the Sky+ features again. If still no joy, make a note of your System Details, then phone Sky and ask them to re-send the Sky+ activation signal. This will be done over-the-air, so leave the box in standby during the call.

If still no joy, there may be a problem with the box, and do as Scubbie has suggested.

Are you by any chance unplugging this box overnight? They are best left in standby.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenedin For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (23-02-12)

Thanks

re faulty thomson box reported by peter rutter

Thankyou for your swift and helpful advice, i think I can rule out the LNB as the signal strength and quality are very high. I am able to use the box as per freesat which left me thinking of a possible hard drive problem.
      I prefer to avoid changing PSUs or hard drives, and have taken the easy way out and ordered a replacement sky+ box from ebay. I believe I still have to contact sky before full services can be restored.
      Once again many thanks for your help
      regards Peter Rutter.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

When you get your new STB you will need to take the card out of the old STB and put into the new one, then ring Sky and ask them to pair the old card to the new STB

Hopefully, then your troubles are over.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Lol, Ged has lost his crown for oldest forum member
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: re faulty thomson box reported by peter rutter

No problem with getting the STB from eBay. A lot of members have done that.

When you receive the STB, set it up and give Sky a friendly call. They will be able to pair your viewing card with the new STB.

For a moment though you have worried me. In your first post you stated that you can get all the channels. In this 2nd post you have stated that you are using it as a Freesat box. Could you confirm that you are still able to watch any of the Sky channels that you have subscribed to please?

The reason why I mentioned the LNB is because one that has been used with a failing Thomson STB will have been exposed to incorrect voltages and likely to fail. Often when installing a new STB it would be noticeable that the it is a little slow when swapping channels.

You may well be fine and not have any issues with changing the channels. This would be more noticeable to someone who sees a variety of different installations though.

As for changing the PSU, I can accept that not everyone is interested in this. It isn't for everyone but many have been happy with the results.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Re: re faulty thomson box reported by peter rutter

Many thanks for your reply. I have been using a Grundig fresat box until the replacement sky+ box arrives. As regards the faulty Thomson sky+ box, I do think you are right to suspect the power supply. It is very reluctant to power up after being put into standby,but when it does, I can then get the subscribed channels with no sign of delay.
      However if I attempt to play back a recorded programme, everything becomes corrupted and it then becomes locked into standby.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Probably the usual PSU woes, but don't write it off until you have attempted a manual reformat. Power off at the mains, hold down ( and keep holding down the Left and Right navigation buttons either side of the 'Select' button ). With the nav buttons held down, power on again at the mains. When the circular playback light appears, let go of the buttons and press 'Select' on the digibox. The circular light will rotate backwards, and the reformat will begin. The procedure is complete when the box returns to standby ( red light ). Takes no more than a few minutes.

You lose your recordings with this reformat, but it may just bring the box back. If not, it's almost guaranteed to be capacitor trouble, or the hard drive is kaput..
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),