Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dont want BBC southern or itv meridian want London channels

This is a discussion on Dont want BBC southern or itv meridian want London channels within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Just had SKY+ and viewing package installed and feeling pretty miffed. Replaced my existing sky box that i used on ...

roymck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dont want BBC southern or itv meridian want London channels

Just had SKY+ and viewing package installed and feeling pretty miffed. Replaced my existing sky box that i used on free to air channels that i had brought from my house in London when i relocated to Surrey . Was able to watch BBC london and ITV London on 101 and 103.
      The new sky system determins by postcode that because i live in just inside Surrey i cannot watch London anymore and must watch BBC Southern and Meridian itv.
      I can watch by going to other channels but i cant see i should do that everytime i change channel.
      I drive in london and like to watch the london local news for traffic reports in London.
      Rung sky and they tried to convince me that technically it is impossible to watch London TV in Surrey, what waffle if people can watch local channels abroad its down to the fact that the viewing card says where you live and what channels you receive, after about an Hour on the phone telling them that all they had to do was send me a new viewing card or reprogamme my existing card they said that i cannot be done because the computer says NO. Also mentioned that by law they cannot do it either , Advertising Revenue losses?.
      Any body else had this problem and come up against the stonewall of Sky faceless call center people who can only read from the script. And can it be done ?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Dont want BBC southern or itv meridian want London channels

Aww.... What is wrong with BBC South & Meridian?

Seriously though, it sounds like someone has put in the wrong details for your viewing card. Give Sky a friendly call and ask them to fix this.

Edit Do you get BBC South or BBC London on Freeview? Guildford, for example, will have BBC South, whilst Kingston Upon Thames will get BBC London.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

ITV & BBC regions are allocated by Sky on the basis of postcode databases provided by ITV and the BBC. It is part of the EPG Licensing Agreement with each broadcaster. Sky Call Centre staff may well be reading from the script, because the script is a legal agreement.

Contact viewerservices@itv.com and ask them to verify your allocated ITV region.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

Get a Freesat receiver. You can choose your postcode and watch whichever BBC/ITV you want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

BBC London is easily accessed with channel 974 rather than 101.

You can access any ITV region using 'Add Channels'.

In order to add more regional ITV 1 channels to a Sky TV Box EPG (out of your normal viewing region), follow the procedure below:
      Press "Services" on the Sky handset (button 4)
      Select "Add Channels" by pressing button 4 again on the Sky Handset.
      Enter the five digit frequency (from the table below) using the handset number buttons.
      Move to the next Sky onscreen menu item (below) using the down arrow button.
      Use the left / right arrow button to select the correct polarity (H or V) from the table below.
      Use the down arrow buttons to set Symbol Rate and FEC as shown in the table below.
      Scroll down to the "Find Channels" option onscreen menu and then press "Select"
      Select the ITV1 region/s or other channel/s required. Press the Sky handset yellow button to store it.
      Press "Backup" repeatedly to exit the "Add channels" menu.

The data you input is:

ITV 1 Region As Transmitted From Frequency (MHz) Polarity Symbol Rate FEC
      London (Sky Ch 963) Crystal Palace 10758 V 22000 5/6

More info at BBC UK regional TV on satellite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and also Add ITV 1 Regions, ITV1 Channels to Sky TV Digibox, Freesat
      Last edited by dms05; 20-02-12 at 10:22 AM.