Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Plus Set Up

This is a discussion on Sky Plus Set Up within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi Folks, New to the forum because I had a question and I hope someone out there can help... Background: ...

Bonzodog29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Plus Set Up

Hi Folks,
      New to the forum because I had a question and I hope someone out there can help...
      Background:
      I have a bog standard sky box with a single cable running from dish to box in living room, Now I have been given a sky+ box by a friend so I wanted to get it set up so I can record one channel while watching another. Now before i contact Sky and end up spending cash I wondered if there was any help that I could get on here. I have been told that I would need to run a second cable from the dish to the box, but I wondered if it was possible to simply get a splitter. I dont want to run more than 1 box etc so surely having the signal split will mean that the 2 recicvers will tune seperatly, or am I missing something?
      Any help appreciated.
      Cheers
      Bonz

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Plus Set Up

Each feed to the Sky+ STB will require it's own input from the dish.

If you are able to access the dish, take a look at it.

Specifically look at the LNB to see if you have any spare ports.

If this is not the case, then you could fit your own Quad-LNB (available for under 10) or Octo-LNB (nearer 25-30). Be advised that you should have a suitable meter to check the satellite signal if you take this option.

Next you will need to purchase either a length of Coax & a pair of suitable F-Plug connectors or a length or Twin-Coax and four F-Plug connectors.

Before spending any money, I would highly recommend that you check your upgrade options on the Sky website. You may find that you can obtain the 1TB Sky+ HD STB for less than you are about to spend, including any potential installation fee.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky Plus Set Up

Best bet by far is to buy a length of twin-core WF100, a Sky Minidish quad ( 4-port ) LNB if you don't already have one fitted, and 4 new F-connectors. Replace your existing cable and connectors with the new gear. The new twin core should slide nicely into the existing hole in the wall, and, when hooked up to the Sky+ box, will give you the required two inputs for Sky plussing everything. Remember to seal up the hole again with the wallplug and some sealant.

None of this is rocket science ( although it does depend how accessible everything is ).

Forget about a 'splitter' - the technology doesn't allow a 'split' signal in the same sense as an ordinary splitter allows a HDMI ( or similar ) signal to be split to two different devices. Maybe you are thinking about a stacker/destacker, such as this. Cheaper and reliable option is a twin core etc as suggested.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),