Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free upgrade of sky+ box???

This is a discussion on Free upgrade of sky+ box??? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Does anyone know if there are any ways of getting sky to upgrade existing sky+ boxes for free? Today, I ...

seabird99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01326
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Free upgrade of sky+ box???

Does anyone know if there are any ways of getting sky to upgrade existing sky+ boxes for free? Today, I received sky's latest mail offer for new and 'existing' customers, whereby if you take up broadband, line rental and calls they give you a new sky+hd box so that you can take full advantage of anytime plus without having to fork out for the hd subscription. I already have the broadband, calls and line etc. and under existing terms would have to pay for a new box unless I take the hd subscription. This really hacks me off that new customers get this for free whilst long term customers pay through the nose. Will the threat of cancellation do the trick?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: Free upgrade of sky+ box???

Log in to your My Sky page and check your upgrade options. You may be pleasantly surprised. If not the Sky+ HD 1TB box has been available for around 49 for some time now as an upgrade.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Most, and I mean the extremely vast majority of people will get an offer when they first sign up to Sky. Be it a discount on their subs, free equipment, free install etc. Chances are you also got an offer when signing up. Maybe even multiple offers if you signed up to Broadband and Talk at different times as well.

So why should you get another offer to basically carry on your existing subscription but with new equipment? If you got the box free with free install but without having to take up new subs then there would be no benefit to Sky as a company.

You can argue that you are a longstanding customer, but Sky offers customers various other things for their loyalty. They add new channels, new services, expand existing services without any additional charge to you. You've been getting loyalty bonuses for years, but probably didn't realise.

Most companies offer incentives for new customers, or existing customers if they take up further subs.

If you want a free upgrade, you're only bet is to cancel. You might, and I do mean might, get offered something. They are cutting down on offers though so it really depends on who you get. You might get offered nothing, and Sky would be perfectly within their rights to do so.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

There are some who have cancelled their current Sky packages and their partner has then signed.

Since the contract is then in a new name, they have benefited from the latest deals.

The disadvantage of this is that the TV prices were frozen last September, so you may not actually get such a good deal as the new contract will be obliged to pay the higher viewing price that new subscribers are paying.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

why is this thread in the Anytime forum?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It isn't.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RWG
      RWG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There are some who have cancelled their current Sky packages and their partner has then signed.

Since the contract is then in a new name, they have benefited from the latest deals.

The disadvantage of this is that the TV prices were frozen last September, so you may not actually get such a good deal as the new contract will be obliged to pay the higher viewing price that new subscribers are paying.
      Hi - would this work. If I cancel my service this month & my wife started new contract next month, would she get new customer benefits (new box, M&S vouchers). I am also a longstanding customer, with a white sky+ box, and would like to access SkyStore to rent films. But not prepared to pay 199 for a new box. Happy to be commited to a new 12 month contrcat though. Don't need the Sky HD pack as we do not have a HD TV - but to access SkyStore you need a SkyHD box.

Bit disappointing that SKY won't offer some kind of discounted upgrade to a new box for accessing this SKYSTORE service, as basically I will be using it to rent films and therefore giving sky more money - as well as them getting me to commit to another 12 months. As it stands I am free to cancel anytime and go elsewhere for a 'movie streaming service' so why would they want to sting me with 199 for the box? Doesn't make good business sense.

My Movies costs me 16 a month as it is - that may be better spent on a Love Film or Netflix style service

But If i can cancel my full service with sky - and next month my wife join up again, and this will work - I am happy to jump through these hoops?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Why not just try and blag a better deal via cancellations, just tell them you are thinking of going to VM for their Tivvo Box etc

You can always uncancel within 30 days anyway.

I got a HD box for free a couple of years ago by doing similar.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Wasteman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Free upgrade of sky+ box???

I know it's off topic but is there any other difference between the 500GB and 1TB Sky+ HD boxes other than storage capacity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

If you mean the DRX890 (500) vs DRX895 (1TB) then the only difference other than the capacity is a slightly different chassis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast