Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Free upgrade of sky+ box???

This is a discussion on Free upgrade of sky+ box??? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR Why not just try and blag a better deal via cancellations, just tell them you are ...

RWG
      RWG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Free upgrade of sky+ box???

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Why not just try and blag a better deal via cancellations, just tell them you are thinking of going to VM for their Tivvo Box etc

You can always uncancel within 30 days anyway.

I got a HD box for free a couple of years ago by doing similar.
      Been on phone, and Twitter and online chat today asking same question - which is
      I am a Loyal customer for years, who now wants to simply access skystore to rent movies from Sky,
      I have a white Sky+ box, I need a Sky+HD box to access SkyStore,
      I am even prepared to get tied into to a new 12 month contract to get the required box so I can begin renting movies (and paying sky more money),
      but not prepared to fork out 199 for the privilege
      I do not require the sky+HD package as I do not have a HD TV.
      I simply just want the sky+hdbox so I can buy movies from Skystore.
      If I had the older sky digibox they would offer me this upgarede for free
      But I have the white Sky+box (which is not compatabile with SkyStore) - so they won't play ball for some odd reason

Which is mad, because I am in a situation where I can cancel my sky movieworld pack (meaning sky lose 16 a month from me) and I can then use that cash to buy a movie reantal service from another streaming movie provider through kids Xbox, (eg Love Fims/NetFlix/Zune) or buy appleTV for 99 and use itunes rental service

But wiouldn't you think from a business point of view sky would want to retain me as a loyal customer, keep the 16 a month they currently get for my movie pack, tie me into another 12 months, and give me a free box upgrade so I can spend even more money with them through SkyStore (which is all I really want to do anyway).

But after all the communication with them yestaerday, basically they either want 199 from me for the box upgrade, (and 15 fee for me to 'self set up') or otherwise they are happy for me to cancel my 16 a month movie pack, go elsewhere for my streaming movies, and remain a customer who is not tied in and could move away to a compeptitor with a months notice at anytime.

Doesn't make sense to me that they would operate like that from a commercial point of view???

So, bottom line is that I have now cancelled Sky Movies (So they have lost that income from me) and will use this cash to buy a streaming service from elsewhere.

But after seeing this thread I wondered about cancelling all together, and then signing up again (simply to get the box upgrade - I don't care about the M&S Vouchers!!)

But apparently, even after cancelling you are considered still a 'non-subscribing customer' in Skys eyes for another 12 months. But I was trying to ascertain if I cancel my full service, and another person who lives at this address then igned up - would they be considered a new customer. I keep getting conflicting answers from SKY. One advisor has said yes as that they would be a new customer - other sky advisor has said that can't be done as that person is in the same household.

Another advisor on Twitter said both!!! as per the copy of the hilarious Twitter conversation below, in which they completeley contradict themselves.

RussWG: @SkyHelpTeam Hi. Once I cancel my service how long before SKY consider me a new customer again? 4:25pm, Sep 08 from Web

SkyHelpTeam: @RussWG 12 months Jane 4:26pm, Sep 08 from Web

RussWG: @skyhelpteam Hi again - if I cancel my service, and someone else in household joins month later, are they then classed as a new customer? 5:04pm, Sep 08 from HootSuite

SkyHelpTeam: @RussWG If they have never had Sky before then they would be a new customer. Andy 5:08pm, Sep 08 from Web

RussWG: @skyhelpteam So If I cancel this month & my wife started new contract next month, would she get new customer benefits (new box, M&S vouchers) 5:14pm, Sep 08 from HootSuite

SkyHelpTeam: @RussWG If it is somebody within the same household then they are not entitled to apply to be a new customer. Andy 5:18pm, Sep 08 from Web

2. Advertisement
      RWG
      RWG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      If you mean the DRX890 (500) vs DRX895 (1TB) then the only difference other than the capacity is a slightly different chassis.
      Quote Originally Posted by Wasteman View Post
      I know it's off topic but is there any other difference between the 500GB and 1TB Sky+ HD boxes other than storage capacity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Yep - this is way off topic - hopefully a moderator will move this to its own or another appropriate thread - many thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Strictly speaking, Russ is correct. All Sky offers apply to 'the household' -
      Prices apply to your first Sky+HD box only.

Free Sky+ box offer: Sky+ box free with free standard set-up for new customers joining Sky TV online. One free box per household. This is a new customer offer.
      In many cases Sky overlook this and will sign up some other name, even with the same address. I myself had trouble with this when I signed up with Sky many years ago. I live in a semi-detached cottage with both houses named the same. The next door neighbour defaulted on payments and Sky refused to sign me up as it was the same address, even though the name was completely different. I had to send copies of the voters roll to convince them it was a completely separate house. From what I have seen on the forum, they are much more relaxed in their dealings nowadays.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12