Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky - Magic Eye - Freeview - Check my Setup Please

This is a discussion on Sky - Magic Eye - Freeview - Check my Setup Please within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, What I want to do is watch sky/freeview/magic eye upstairs and Sky/Freeview downstairs. The sky box is downstairs and ...

Simon2k11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky - Magic Eye - Freeview - Check my Setup Please

Hi,

What I want to do is watch sky/freeview/magic eye upstairs and Sky/Freeview downstairs.

The sky box is downstairs and at the moment I have rf2 going through coaxial cable to the loft (where there is an aerial, but this is not connected) then down to the bedroom through a magic eye.

Picture isn't brilliant, so I was thinking of running HDMI cable through a splitter from sky hd box upstairs to the tv, leaving the coaxial cables setup as they are for magic eye, and running another coaxial cable from the aerial in the loft downstairs to the skybox, to enable us to also watch Freeview on either tv.

Does this sound right?

I'm going to measure what I think the length will be of the HDMI cable, Im hoping no more than 10m, would 10m HDMI cable still be good enough for perfect picture on upstairs tv?

Thanks in advanced

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sky - Magic Eye - Freeview - Check my Setup Please

You can purchase pre-made HDMI leads in 10m, 15m & 20m. It appears that a 30m lead requires a boost, so an 'extender' may be required. So the length of such a lead is up to you.

If you would like both TVs to use the HDMI then do check that any splitter is compatible due to Sky's implementation of HDCP.

As for the coaxial lead, this needs to run in the following manner to work correctly:

Main TV Aerial --> Sky STB Input --> Sky RF2 Output --> Magic-Eye --> 2nd TV

You can insert a booster between the RF2 Output & the Magic-Eye, but it must be compatible the power output from the Sky STB.

So in your case, I would advise you to feed your main TV Aerial in the loft to the Sky STB. From there a 2nd lead can go back into the loft and feed back down to your 2nd TV.

If you are experiencing a poor picture quality after all this, check the picture quality at you main TV first, then work one step at a time through all the connections.

I suspect that you have been using an aerial splitter to join the main TV aerial & the feed from the Sky STB together. This will be reducing the signal on both counts. The method that I have suggested above will avoid this problem. There are some splitters that don't degrade the signal as much, but you normally need to ask for these.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.