Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ box - no signal on any other channel if I record

This is a discussion on Sky+ box - no signal on any other channel if I record within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I've just had Sky+ HD installed downstairs, and my Sky multiroom upgraded to the Sky+ box that was downstairs. For ...

macabremagpie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: bt
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ box - no signal on any other channel if I record

I've just had Sky+ HD installed downstairs, and my Sky multiroom upgraded to the Sky+ box that was downstairs.

For about a month it worked fine - I recorded lots of shows and used all the functions without any problems. However in the last few weeks a strange problem has developed - if I record anything then all other channels become unavailable (claims loss of signal), and if I'm watching another channel then the recording fails due to no signal. Also, on occasion, I'll change a channel and it will say no signal, but a simple on-and-off will fix it. I just checked the back of the box and both seem to be connected fine.

I've seen other people mention this problem, and the solution normally involves getting a second cable - however, I already have both plugged in to the back of my box, and as I said, it worked fine for a month or so previously. Also, it seems to work OK on occasion, but lately 99% of the time I'm restricted to one channel if I want to record.

Any suggestions, besides calling customer services?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ box - no signal on any other channel if I record

You either have a dodgy cable/LNB or connection at the back of the Sky receiver.

Press services and check the signal levels on both feeds, chances are you are missing one.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Which box is affected? The Sky HD or the Sky+? I assume you had another cable run to the setup upstairs where you put the Sky+. Switch off the digibox at the mains and check the connections at the back of the box. There should be 3mm of visible centre core in each of the cable F-connectors in order to make a good contact with the Dish Input plugs on your box. Also, no loose copper braid around the cable end. See How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable for useful pics. A good connection is also required at the dish end of the cable.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

macabremagpie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: bt
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You either have a dodgy cable/LNB or connection at the back of the Sky receiver.

Press services and check the signal levels on both feeds, chances are you are missing one.
      After inspection, this seems to be the problem. I couldn't access Signal Test before for some reason (the sky box crashed everytime I tried in the last week) but today it worked and Input 2 was showing as not locked.

I've unscrewed and rescrewed the cable but still nothing. Can't really access the dish on my own as the cable goes over the roof so looks like it's a ridiculously expensive call-out...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you just had this done a month ago it should still be under warranty, so a call out should cost you nothing. A bit of a hassle, but have you tried swapping the boxes round to see if the problem is still there?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

If the cable goes over the roof, chances are this is where the problem is, normally the cable rubs through as it i moving around on the roof when it is windy wearing a hole through the outer coating.

I would insist both cables are replaced because if one has gone, the other will not be far behind, either get them to clip it down properly or to re-route it around the barge booad if you can.