Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + box is having a laugh

This is a discussion on Sky + box is having a laugh within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi there new user to this site but always had a wee look now and again. My Father is having ...

Grum78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky + box is having a laugh

Hi there new user to this site but always had a wee look now and again.

My Father is having technical problems with his sky + box, whilst the box is turned on he uses the text, whilst in the text the box then switches itself off and takes forever to turn back on, then keeps going into standby. I have tried a forced software update to no avail. This keeps happening until it works for a few days then it does it again even without accessing the text. Sky want to charge him 65 for an engineer to come out and i think it is fixable without this happening.

I hope that i can get help cause my old man is cracking up without his sky

thank you

Graham

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky + box is having a laugh

To be honest the Sky+ box comes in 3 main parts, the power supply the hard drive and the motherboard, which means faults come down to one of those areas.

If the box is a Thomson that uses the same power supply as their Sky HD box which is well known to have poor capacitors and I had to have 3 HD boxes before having the get the last one repaired as my warrenty had expired.

It sounds like it could be the sort of thing a dodgy power supply could be especially with the random shutdowns but it could be anything.

In these sort of cases 65 to Sky may be the best bet as the Sky+ box has now been discontinued for a while and even getting a replacement hard drive for them is getting tricky as they use the old PATA interface let alone any other replacement.

If Sky do come round they will most likely just do a box swap which will be a reconditioned box with a 3 month warrenty.

OR you could go to eBay and pick up a cheap Sky+ box but you run the risk of being lumbered with another dodgy box.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!