Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

About to be the 4th +box in 4 months.

This is a discussion on About to be the 4th +box in 4 months. within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi all, New to the forum, I hope this is posted in the right place... I am now on the ...

happykayaker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

About to be the 4th +box in 4 months.

Hi all,

New to the forum, I hope this is posted in the right place...

I am now on the 3rd sky+ box in 4 months, the current one being installed on Sat (2 days ago) and this one is faulty. There are issues recording, playback and for the first time this box is showing picture and sound issues on live TV. I phoned to report it - having spoken to the sky engineer on Sat - who suggested I argue for a free HD box (not upgrading my package) as this is what all new customers are getting anyway, should the replacement he was installing fail. I was told by the chap (in India who was not very able at coming off script) that they were not able to do action a replacement of my current sky+ box with a HD box - this was up to the engineer - which contradicted what the engineer said on Sat. I asked to speak to his manager, and off he went, came back saying the manager agrees with him (seemingly too busy to speak to a mere customer). I asked for a customer complaint department telephone number, all he was able to do was to give me the bskyb.com website - which after a lot of playing, eventually found me at the mysky websites. There is seemingly only an online email form, or a postal address to use as methods of complaint. I used the email form, had an automated response to say they have a higher volume of emails than usual and therefore may take longer to respond. So when the engineer comes tomorrow, it looks like I shall be on the 4th box in 4 months of the white sky+boxes. If that fails, I shall be more angry than I currently am - paying for a service which is not fit for purpose and is not worth watching or recording!

Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: About to be the 4th +box in 4 months.

Your best bet is to write to Customer Relations with a complaint, and send it off to the Sky head office. (customer relations is a different department to customer service)

Hopefully the new box will work but sooner or later all the Sky+ boxes on the vans will be used up and I suppose that Sky will have to do box swaps with the thousands of dodgy Thompson HD boxes.

Just keep on plugging away at it as they have supplied you a box with a one year guarentee and the more they have to send engineers out the more it's costing Sky in the long run.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, I shall see what reply I get from the email form I completed and what happens when the engineer comes tomorrow - if the box is replaced with another white box and ends up being faulty I shall begin to argue more vehemently.

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

It's quite unusual to have a run of bad Sky+ boxes. Unless they are returns from other unhappy customers and have been given to you to try, or there is something wrong with your setup. I take it the box has been updated with the latest software? The box has been fully paired with Sky? It is not overheating somewhere? There may be a problem with your dish/LNB/cabling. Check Signal Strengths.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I assume that Sky hasn't had a new delivery of Sky+ boxes for a while before making the HD only announcent.

I would then expect there to be a large amount of unwanted Sky+ boxes doing the rounds until they have been switched so many times that Sky finally says enough and pulls them.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

kayakingtim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenedin View Post
      It's quite unusual to have a run of bad Sky+ boxes. Unless they are returns from other unhappy customers and have been given to you to try, or there is something wrong with your setup. I take it the box has been updated with the latest software? The box has been fully paired with Sky? It is not overheating somewhere? There may be a problem with your dish/LNB/cabling. Check Signal Strengths.
      It's been an engineer every time who has been doing the swaps. The signal strength on the last box was week, though when he plugged in his testing unit, it showed a strong signal strength.

On install of the 3rd (current box), the engineer had trouble getting the box to find all the channels correctly (this was noticed as it was not showing channel 5 - a free channel). After a bit of playing, the engineer managed to get the box to find all channels. That evening I set up the box to record various things and we attempted to watch television through the Sky+ box. This time, for the first time I have seen it, the issues with the sound dropping out and picture freezing was occurring when watching live television. Yesterday I tried to watch the Sky 1 programme 24, *from the recording I had made. All I got were pictures, with the sound coming and going all the time, making following what is happening impossible!

All three Sky+ boxes worked initially, but after a while started to develop the same faults: when playing back recordings - the pictures would still be in motion, but the sound would drop out on a regular basis; or the whole thing would freeze for a second or two; or when fast forwarding through adverts, a blue screen with a service / error message would very briefly be displayed (to quick to read), before the whole programme jumped 30 minutes further into the recorded programme. The current faulty box was only installed on Sat, and its Mon today.

I had a reply from my email, the woman who replies clearly had not read my email, offering to sell me an upgrade to the HD box, no mention of the issues I outlined. I have just drafted a letter and will send it off to the Customer Relations department tomorrow. I'm more hacked off that I am paying for a service, that I can not use as the recordings are not watchable, and with this current box, the thing plays up when watching TV normally!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It actually sounds like you may have dish/LNB or a cable problem. Get that checked and changed next time an engineer comes out.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It actually sounds like you may have dish/LNB or a cable problem. Get that checked and changed next time an engineer comes out.
      Ta, I will do when the engineer comes tomorrow.

Exchange:
      Thanks

This afternoon I have had a new dish (complete with built in spirit level - which surprised me) and a new front thing on the new dish (sorry not sure what it is called). Hopefully this will resolve the issue - assuming it does (time will tell), I feel I still want something from sky having had 4 months of problems - I shall wait and see what response I get from my letter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I feel it only fair to report that, following the engineer's visit today, I have also spoken to Sky who have organised for an install of the seemingly more reliable HD boxes, as well as some other forms of recompense (aka. money off the monthly bill etc). The customer relations person who phoned me was friendly, sympathetic and in theory has sorted the issues out. Fingers crossed the new dish et al, alongside the new box when it arrives, will combine to prevent any further issues.