Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

relocating sky+box

This is a discussion on relocating sky+box within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi everybody(first post so i am nervous) I want to relocate my sky+ box to the other side of our ...

dogsbreath22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

relocating sky+box

Hi everybody(first post so i am nervous)
      I want to relocate my sky+ box to the other side of our front room(about 7 metres)and rang sky who told me it would cost 65 to send an engineer out.thought that was a bit steep so i rang a few local companies and got roughly the same price.
      So my question is could i do this myself as it seems it is only joining the cable.It's probably not that easy as 1,would i lose signal strength2,Where do i buy the cable and 3 if i muck it up i will have to call sky in anyway!

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: relocating sky+box

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbreath22 View Post
      Hi everybody(first post so i am nervous)
      I want to relocate my sky+ box to the other side of our front room(about 7 metres)and rang sky who told me it would cost 65 to send an engineer out.thought that was a bit steep so i rang a few local companies and got roughly the same price.
      So my question is could i do this myself as it seems it is only joining the cable.It's probably not that easy as 1,would i lose signal strength2,Where do i buy the cable and 3 if i muck it up i will have to call sky in anyway!

cheers
      If all you are wanting to do is put the box in another place without changing anything else, then it would be a simple changing the cable for longer ones you can get the cable from somewhere like maplin. It will not affect the signal and you can not muck it up, simple replace cable with longer ones.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You are going to neet 2 x cables 7m long, 4 x f plugs and 2 x inline barrel f connectors.

It is a simple enough job. You may also need to extend the TV aerial. this will require another cable the same length and 2 x coax plugs and 1 x inline coax barrel connector.

f plugs:- Philex Coaxial F Plug Pack of 10 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

f barrel connectors:- Labgear F Plug to F Plugs Pack of 10 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Coax Plugs:- Philex Coaxial Plug Pack of 10 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Inline coax connector:- Labgear Plastic Coax Couplers Pack of 10 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Cable:- High Quality Coaxial Cable RG6 25m - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

This is more than enough to do the job and will leave enough spares for the furure. All for around 20.

It should only take 20-30 minutes or so. Just make certain that you unplug the satellite receiver before you undo the connectors on the back.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

homebase also sell satellite cable extention packs with cable and f connectors and barrell connectors pre-made up just need attaching at around 15 to 20 pounds
      not sure if they do twin packs for sky+