Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Personal Planner Issues (Fact v Myth)

This is a discussion on Personal Planner Issues (Fact v Myth) within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I think many 'users' are familiar with the skittish and enigmatic performance of the often reported 'series link' facility. Most ...

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Personal Planner Issues (Fact v Myth)

I think many 'users' are familiar with the skittish and enigmatic performance of the often reported 'series link' facility.

Most of the time I have to keep on re-selecting this, following the screen banner ' bla bla bla - not available - try again later'. Annoying but normally after persistence (up to 23 attempts as a record for me) it eventually accepts the request.

However a new machination seems afoot. Take a series like 'Poirot' being shown on ITV 3 and subsequently ITV3+1 of course, with varying start times. On some occasions it will pick up and record, other times, no show.

Does it only record a 'series linked' title on the same time each day, or everything, whenever scheduled, and how long is the instruction stored for, or is it all just a case of Pot Luck?

Inevitably the fault conveniently lands (in my case) in the Amstrad box (now owned by the Digger of course) v's Sky 'no mans land' of ultimate responsibility.

Additionally, there seems to be an urban myth, that having selected a programme for future viewing in the 'Sky Plus' Personal Planner, if you highlight it, then press the red button, it will auto-view (channel changes on screen automatically - just like the old days). Nope not in my case.

Any one had any luck with this claim?

2. Advertisement
      Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Personal Planner Issues (Fact v Myth)

The series link info is in the same data stream as the programme info, and the information is updated more often for the mainstream channels than it is for the "also rans". When you press the series link button, the box tries to find the information in the data stream. If this data isn't found within x seconds, it gives up. Eventually, if you try hard enough you will get the information, so it's really pot luck. The new HD boxes with the new EPG never fail to find a series link, so I think there may be a bit of cacheing going on.

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks, I'm going to upgrade to HD soon, utilising the 1TB box my family bought me last month. I just can't summons up the energy to tackle Sky Customer Services for the pairing yet!

Last time changing to Sky Plus was I swore, the end of ringing Sky unless it was an emergency!

I've found that anything the least bit unusual (like having your own box) inevitably leads to interminable call backs until you reach someone with the intelligence and endeavour to move from disinterested apathy to 'can do'.

Pot Luck again.

Much appreciated

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Thanks

When I replaced my old Thomson box with a Pace recently, I phoned Sky and it was paired in 5 minutes flat ! The hardest part was deciding which number to press in the "Press 1 for...." but. In the end, I settled for Satellite Tech Support.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Also, be aware series link data is not determined by Sky it's ultimately the responsibility of the broadcaster to keep it updated with the correct information.