Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ in a new build - Big issues

This is a discussion on Sky+ in a new build - Big issues within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this has been posted before, i must of missed it. Me and my Fiance moved ...

GazzieC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goscote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ in a new build - Big issues

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this has been posted before, i must of missed it. Me and my Fiance moved into our apartment about 2 years ago, the development was finished in September 2006 and in the living room we have an aerial panel that was installed when the place was built. We had normal sky fitted when we first moved in and recently wanted to upgrade to sky+. The aerial ports on the wall consist of two satellite cable ports, one standard RF port and an RF radio port. Before forking out the best part of 200 to upgrade I thought it would be a good idea to check that both ports work.

My mate leant me his thomson Sky+ box and I fitted it and checked the two signals, awesome I could recieve to signals. Got my self sky+ and I'm having issues with the Input 2. after a short while, signal 2 completely goes and won't come back for hours, it will then come back for a few minutes and then die out. This is causing big issue as we can't actually record anything if we're out as I understand the "Sky+" part of the box runs off input 2.

I check all the leads and swapped them over and the fault moves to input 1 when you swap the cables. The cables are both fine as tested them both. I (very naughtily) removed the areial panel off the wall and found something very confusing. There are two lines going into the panel and I am assuming that one is from the dish and one is from the standard domestic aerial. The one from the dish however doesn't got straight into the back of a plug. It goes into a heavily shielded box that links to both Sat Cables on the panel. I am assuming that this is some sort of electronic splitter.

I have read a lot of forums and everyone seems to think that that I have only 1 LNB downfeed however the fact I can get to signals into my box seems to telling me that I actually have two. Is this a complete fantasy product or could I have a splitter fitted that actually works as from what I have read normal LNB splitters don't really work

Many thanks
      Gaz

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ in a new build - Big issues

WHat you have is a stacked signal at the head end and at your flat end a de-stacker which splits the signals back into two.

That it fine. You may have a problem with either the socket (which is not de-stacking properly) or the head end (the stacker) which is not combining them properly. Either way, you need to get onto the building maintenance to get it sorted.

Chances are they use a specific company to maintain their aerial system.