Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Re- Wiring a Room Hints & Tips

This is a discussion on Re- Wiring a Room Hints & Tips within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi all, I am re-wiring my living room, with a feed to the other room. Could anybody give me any ...

Darth Sky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01246
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re- Wiring a Room Hints & Tips

Hi all, I am re-wiring my living room, with a feed to the other room. Could anybody give me any ideas of wich cabling to use or how do I use my old Sky box for channels if possible?

Using the hole in the fire place for equipment and hanging screen on wall I've fed and hid the original two cables, Networked the 2 down stair rooms and putting speaker cable in.

What else should I be doing for maximum sky???

Thanks in anticipation

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Re- Wiring a Room Hints & Tips

If your TV has more than one HDMI socket, I would run in a second and third for future use, also a scart lead just in case because they are big cables to get in afterwards.

Run in an extra two leads to the Sky receiver that you can connect up if a problem arrises, you don't need these to go all the way to the dish, just leave them coiled up with a couple of feet of cable on so you can connect up to them if needed.

What about games consoles etc? DVD recorders and maybe a global amplifier again somewhere out of the way (maybe under the floor) to hook up any extra rooms for the future.

Thanks

okay just realised got one of those quad lnb thingy's, I'm going to connect into my other room using the spare 2. Should I run them both for freesat or just one for my old sky box and 1 in main room for feesat.

Both rooms will have hd screens, one room is pc, 360, ps3 elec keyboard and all gaming equipment the other is more an adult film / chilling room but both rooms are connected with 3 x hdmi's RGB, Scart, Phono, Optical 2 x r45's and co-ax. 2 Even used drain pipe in chimney for easy refitting of scarts and 3 pin plugs - just in case i miss one! lol

So most things can be split either way but my main problem now is i'm looking to get differnt tvchannels in differnt rooms without giving sky another penny (legally).

2lnb's go to my sky +
      1 lnb can go where?
      1 lnb should go where?
      What are the best ways round it please?

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Get an Octo LNB - 8 outputs for future expansion.

Thanks

Cheers, didn't know they did 8's. Would one of them on ebay at 20 - 25 do the job or should I pay more for a better quality.

Presuming with eight I can put single cables into kids rooms and double them every where else. As i pay for sky + and don't want to pay for mutliroom. Can I ask sky for Free to air channels in both kids rooms (presuming i have 2 sky boxes)
      And then buy recordable HD Freesat boxes for other 2 rooms. - If so can i link these to play recorded items on any box?? Maybe??
      Cheers

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I've been using one from Ebay for the last 3 years with no problems. An Octo LNB has 8 separate LNB's in one case - you can use them singly, or in pairs, however you want.

You won't be able to link Freesat and Sky boxes, other than by linking them all with their RF outputs, but that will involve a lot of extra cabling.