Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky + having random restarts

This is a discussion on Sky + having random restarts within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Originally Posted by lowri Hi, I think I have a similar problem to you Sam. The week before last we ...

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky + having random restarts

Quote Originally Posted by lowri View Post
      Hi,

I think I have a similar problem to you Sam. The week before last we were watching sky and the screen went black for about 10 seconds before coming back. It happened a couple more times that evening but nothing else happened until this week when the screen went black again but this time, sky switched itself to standby and took a few minutes to come back on, it happened another 3 or 4 times that night. Today it did it again but when it was switched back on, after about 5 minutes there was quite a loud whirring/buzzing sound coming from it. I took the plug out and felt the box but it didn't feel abnormally warm.

It hasn't happened during recording or playback but don't know whether that's more luck than judgement.

Does that sound like a power supply issue? The box is 12 months old.

Thanks,

Lowri
      Hey Lowri

Well what happenend to mine was..

was watching a film then a green line appeared for a few seconds before it went blank and it rebooted itself and its was stuck on standby for 3 mins!

it wasnt abnormally hot at all...

it this is happening to you then yes same problem internal power fault phone sky a.s.a.p

I only had my box 10 Months.. plus it was a Amstrad if that helps?

Maybe a issue with Amstrad's?

Ive got a Thomson now ...

Sam

2. Advertisement
      lowri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks Sam, sorry for the delay. Mine's an Amstrad too, it sounds very similar, I had the green line after the screen went black. I didn't buy the equipment from Sky in the first place so am thinking of maybe trying to replace the power supply. Anyone ever done this?

Thanks again,

Lowri

duffs54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi

We are on our second HD+ box, the first one switched off randomly, then it wouldn't start again for about 5mins, then when you did manage to get it on again, it took another 5 mins before you could change channels.

Complained was told that we could have an engineer out, the box was only 2 weeks old at this point, had massive argument with agent and he offered me a refurb box.

Even bigger argument ensued, got to speak to a manager after 20 mins of arguing, there is no way you should have to keep switching he damn things on and off to work, that is ridiculous, and I refused to even try it. Spoke to customer complaints and was advised that as the box was under 3months old we could have a new box, and an apology

Excellent you might say, now this new box is doing exactly the same and it is 2 months old! This didn't happen with the old prem + box at all.

There seems no reason why, it can go off maybe once or 4 times an evening, or not at all.

Engineer coming out tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what he says, but I feel more confident now I know that it is happening to other users.

Hope this helps some of you out there!
      xx

Lexxy_703 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

from what i've seen elsewhere, i think this is to do with the recent update & has affected Amstrad boxes.

the update they did a few months ago where the aspect ratio keeps changing & boxes crashed, then they rolled it back to a previous version due to the problems, it seems the same/similar update has happened again now.

for about 3 weeks now, since the aspect ratio went squiffy again, our box has had random crashes & failed recordings.

wonderful sky yet again...

duffs54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sky + having random restarts

Quote Originally Posted by duffs54 View Post
      Hi

We are on our second HD+ box, the first one switched off randomly, then it wouldn't start again for about 5mins, then when you did manage to get it on again, it took another 5 mins before you could change channels.

Complained was told that we could have an engineer out, the box was only 2 weeks old at this point, had massive argument with agent and he offered me a refurb box.

Even bigger argument ensued, got to speak to a manager after 20 mins of arguing, there is no way you should have to keep switching he damn things on and off to work, that is ridiculous, and I refused to even try it. Spoke to customer complaints and was advised that as the box was under 3months old we could have a new box, and an apology

Excellent you might say, now this new box is doing exactly the same and it is 2 months old! This didn't happen with the old prem + box at all.

There seems no reason why, it can go off maybe once or 4 times an evening, or not at all.

Engineer coming out tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what he says, but I feel more confident now I know that it is happening to other users.

Hope this helps some of you out there!
      xx
      Just had engineer out, very nice young man!

He confirmed that it is a faulty box, the power supply is the problem inside the unit, and that we were very unlucky to have 2 faulty boxes.http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/image...s/rolleyes.gif

So the old (well 2 months old) box was a Samsung, this one is a Pace...........http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/image...ek.gif.....not sure if this is good or bad, but it is better than it shutting down all the time, we have lost about 20 films and a couple of TV progs, but I don't care as long as it is ok.

Will be back if it isn't and I refuse to unplug the blooming thing etc ever again to try and make it work.

Cheers xxhttp://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

freshman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

This has happened to me recently too, a few times I've come home from work and the box has been switched on and tuned to channel 999 which I initially ignored, but a few days ago i was in the middle of watching one channel while recording another, and the box just locked up and switched off. After 5 minutes of nothing it came back on again on channel 999 and seemed to work fine. The recorded programme showed "power cut" and had only recorded from the point the box came back to life.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, but if it does what do we do - If this is due to a recent update is there a chance they'll release a further one to resolve it? Or should I report it to Sky, pay out 65 and hope they replace it with something other than an Amstrad?

Exchange:
      Thanks

i've had enough of this problem which SKY have caused! still having continual crashes & lost recordings.

i'm asking for a replacement box now & will NOT be paying any call out fee either.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i've had my answer from the Sky Tech bods, re-format MAY clear the issue - it can't be guaranteed, but it has worked for some.

i said i'll try & clear my planner & do this, if i'm still having problems i can go back & request a replacement box (better be FOC!). IF i go down this route, they'll try to ensure the replacement isn't an Amstrad, again, this can't be guaranteed.

he said, as far as they are aware, there is NO update planned to rectify this issue, although that doesn't mean there won't be one either!

all in all, very unsatisfactory.

on the plus side, a quick reply (yesterday), very understanding guy & Sky really DO monitor forums for problems reported (even if they don't do anything about them!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12