Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ copying problem

This is a discussion on Sky+ copying problem within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Has anyone else had the recurrence of last year's problem where you can't copy from a Sky+ recording to a ...

essjay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: SkyMAx
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky+ copying problem

Has anyone else had the recurrence of last year's problem where you can't copy from a Sky+ recording to a DVD recorder?
      I had this today when I tried to copy Battlestar that I recorded on Tuesday - my Panasonic DVD recorder stopped after a few minutes with the message that the recording of this material is not permitted - or something similar.
      The last time this happened was in November and it took Sky weeks to fix it.
      Lets hope they can do better this time.
      Copying from Sky+ is a feature of the Sky service and is invaluable if you want to keep a programme when the HDD is getting full.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ copying problem

Some things are copy protected and are designed not to be recorded. You should be able to bypass this by connecting the DVD recorder to the TV out SCART and just playing the programme as normal.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Some things are copy protected and are designed not to be recorded. You should be able to bypass this by connecting the DVD recorder to the TV out SCART and just playing the programme as normal.
      Exactly - the problem is that normal programmes appear to have had something encoded that makes the DVD recorder think that they are copy protected.
      This previously happened last November and caused problems to many Sky customers - Sky eventually did something which resolved the issue.
      Sky did confirm that Sky Box Office & Pay Per View channels are the only ones with copying restrictions. It shouldn't happen on its other channels.

BTW in my experience, it's not possible to bypass copy protection through normal scart connections. My TV & DVD recorder have been connected in the same way for months and the problem's only just appeared.
      Regards
      sj

Thanks

If you connect via the TV scart then just play and record it should work. You won't be able to use the copy feature on the Sky receiver to do it this way.

I realise that it has just happened but as a workaround the above should do it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you connect via the TV scart then just play and record it should work. You won't be able to use the copy feature on the Sky receiver to do it this way.

I realise that it has just happened but as a workaround the above should do it.
      This is how my system is set up:-
      The SKY TV scart (RGB) is connected to AV2 on the Panny DVD recorder and I usually play the Sky box and press record on the DVD, rather than using the Sky Copy facility.
      The Sky box loops through the DVD recorder's HDMI link to display on the TV.
      Normally works fine - something's changed.
      Are you suggesting that I should connect the DVD recorder to the scart socket on the TV - rather than on the Sky box and record the TV output?
      Last edited by essjay; 28-02-09 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

No, have you tried connecting the DVD to the VCR socket on the Sky+ box? Worth a try.

If you DVD has a tuner built in you could always connect it via RF and tune in the Sky to a spare channel, this way you would always be able to record what you are watching as there is no copy protection on RF.

Downside is that the picture may not be as good but it is a quick fix for now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ copying problem - THE ANSWER

For those who are doubtful that there is really a problem - this is what happened last time....Sky+ glitch sparks fears for programme backups | Technology | The Guardian

Hope someone from Sky sees this and can resolve it again - asap please.