Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Box Unresponsive (to remote or front buttons)

This is a discussion on Sky+ Box Unresponsive (to remote or front buttons) within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; For the past two days now, the Sky+ box has been completely unresponsive. The remote control isn't recognised (i.e. when ...

JamesLB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ Box Unresponsive (to remote or front buttons)

For the past two days now, the Sky+ box has been completely unresponsive. The remote control isn't recognised (i.e. when using it there's no remote light) and pressing any buttons on the box itself does nothing.

I've tried unplugging it for hours on end - it'll turn itself on, but goes straight to channel 999 and i can't get off it.

Box has been acting up for a while now - random resets where the box will turn itself off in the middle of viewing.

Any quick fix, or am i looking at getting a new box altogether - any advice?

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Box Unresponsive (to remote or front buttons)

I'd try a forced software download first, followed by full system reset from the services menu if that doesn't work.

JamesLB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your response - looked into it, and before going through with it, I tried unplugging everything that was going into/out of it and turning it off/on from the wall.

Turns out, it works/responds so long as the RF-Out lead (which is sending the magic-eye signal to TVs around the house) isnt plugged in.

Unfortunately, at the moment we have our main TV being fed through Magic Eye (I keep meaning to call Sky and pay them the 50 to move the box to back under the main TV set).

We had some crappy charlatan who fitted the magic eyes - is there anything I could do to fix it? I'm thinking that it might be the signal-booster (which has no external mains-power source, so I presume is powered from the Sky+ box)? The booster has a 12v mains connection on it - could it be worth adding some external power?

Thanks again everyone for any advice - the family are going mad without access to their recorded American Idol, and as smug as I'd like to be about this, it's a far more peaceful life for me when they get to watch it.

Cheers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have you checked that RF is enabled? It should be if your Eye worked, but it may be worth checking.
      Services button>System Setup(4) then press 0, then 1, then press Select. Note the screen will not change when you press 0 or 1, only when you press Select. Many get confused by this

I am not sure about the booster as I have never used one, but I am sure someone will be able to advise.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How many TVs/magic eyes do you have? Some boosters do require an additional power supply and I think yours does. I suspect that, as the Sky box works with the booster disconnected, (the lead removed from RF2) the Sky box is fine, but as soon as you reconnect the booster, the load is too great for the 9V power supply and it shuts down.
      I've never had this problem, so cannot be sure, but an additional power supply into the booster should fix it. Also check for a short circuit in the lead from the Sky box to the booster the easiest way to do this would be to disconnect the lead at the booster end and see if the box still works.