Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Sky+ With 1 Feed

This is a discussion on Using Sky+ With 1 Feed within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I live in a block of apartments with a shared Sky dish and only 1 feed into our apartment. We ...

Andy 33 Oxon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01993
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Using Sky+ With 1 Feed

I live in a block of apartments with a shared Sky dish and only 1 feed into our apartment. We have recently had Sky+ installed and I fully understand that I only have limited use of the Sky+ features.. Here is where my problem starts and I would appreciate some help!

Programmes set to record via the planner have failed on a number of occasions and I have tried various ways to ensure it is recorded without success:

1) Turned the channel to that of the programme to be recorded before it starts whilst leaving the box on and that has normally worked, but has failed on a couple of occasions.
      2) Turned the channel to that of the programme to be recorded before it starts whilst switching the box off and that failed saying no signal found.
      3) Setting a recording, but not changing channels. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and is very hit and miss.
      3) Set 2 programmes to be recorded at on different channels during the night so not being able to change the channels in between... This has worked once but failed on all other occasions.

I've also had it where I am on a channel (for example BBC1) and a programme has failed to start to record on say ITV1. If I try to change channels to ITV1, it will go to a blue screen and showing ITV1 on the guide at the bottom of the screen , and I can hear the audo from BBC1 but no picture.. I can change to any channel but still get the audio from BBC1!!

Can anybody tell me if there is any proper guidelines for using Sky+ on 1 feed, as its really starting to annoy me where things sometimes work and others don't!

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Using Sky+ With 1 Feed

I beleave to get it to work properly you need both feeds connected. Otherwise if you are watching a channel you can only record that channel. alternatively if you have set it up to record using the menu and you then turn it on to try to watch another channel you cant watch any other channel or it will stop recording. I think that is how it works anyway as you anly have one tuner working if you have one feed.

Mickr

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

In effect it works the same way as a normal box but with the facility to record the channel you are watching only, if you only have the one feed .

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky+ features will not work correctly without a second connection. This cannot be done with a splitter, you must have a dual or quad LNB fitted to your dish and connect the second cable to it.

As you have a shared dish you may have to speak to either the landlords directly or get the number for the installers/maintenance to see ith there are any spare feeds.

Sky+ with one feed will always give you problems if you want to record or pause live TV etc.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Although when the box is turned on, the only thing you can record is the channel you happen to be watching, there are workarounds so that you can get the box to perform unattended recordings of planner entries when the box is off.

You need to set "dummy recordings" which overlap with the actual programme you want to record.

This way, the box will use the 2nd (unconnected) tuner to try & record the dummy entry, causing it to have to use the 1st tuner to record what you actually want.

Andy 33 Oxon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01993
      Thanks

Thanks a lot for the replies, you have unfortunately confirmed what I thought.

Andy

Truescotsman83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

currently i am doing a hd software trials and a part of the new software allows you to change from either 1 feed or two in the system options, possibly in the near future there will be a software update for your sky+.

Also you can purchase a device called a stacker/destacker, basicly at the dish if there is a spare lnb you connect the stacker there it then converts two signals into 1 and then once in your property you have the destacker which converts the signal back into two, allowing you to have a dual lnb, the device cost 110 and an independant engineer will charge about 60, Sky wont install this but it is another solution. Good luck

Andrex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Around the back of the sky+ box you will probably notice the cable is plugged into "dish input 1" - when recording, attatch the cable into "dish input 2".

This should allow the box to change the channel when recording!