Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + Signal query

This is a discussion on Sky + Signal query within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I live in a block of new flats, and we share some ...

Heasy1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northampton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky + Signal query

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I live in a block of new flats, and we share some kind of sky dish.
      I recently had Sky + setup, the engineer setup the two feeds which go into the back of the sky box. But he said only one of the feeds are setup correctly....this means that we can only record one channel at a time and cannot switch between channels while its being recorded.

I have since spoke to the people who run the block, they say thst the 2nd line was never installed because it was impossible at the time.

I have spoken to other people since and they say that it might be possible for me to somehow boost the signal from feed one then split into both feeds, therefore giveing me full Sky +.................Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or if its even possible??

Thanks for reading and help will be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Sky + Signal query

The Sky + box has two tuners, it needs two independent feeds from the Quad or Octo LNB at the dish, so sadly your idea would not work.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

There are a number of ways to get 2 feeds from the communal system, unfortunatly, none of them cheap!
      If there is enough capacity at the switch you could try a set of Stacker/Destackers or a Single Cable Router (SCR) or if possible, the easy solution of just running a cable from A to B.
      If there is NO capacity on the switch, upgrade the switch!!

Heasy1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northampton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I got this pm from Mat, i might try this.
      Ill add the details below just FYI

Hi there,

Yep, I did get it sorted in the end, for using a SkyHD box with one feed.

I bought an "SPS1 Smart Priority Switch" (can't remember from where... somewhere like Pulsat or Satcure). It splits the single feed in two, plus the "smart" part of it means that when the STB is turned on, the main viewing/recording tuner has priority, while when the STB is turned off, the second tuner has priority so will work for unattended recordings.

Not ideal, as you still can't watch/record two channels at once unless they're on the same polarity & band, but it did at least mean there was no need for messing around with dummy entries in the planner etc.

I'm not sure how well it would work in your case though. The switch is controlled by connecting a flylead from the switch to pin 8 on the STB's TV OUT SCART socket (STB on = power from pin 8 = switch gives priority to tuner 1; STB off= no power from pin 8 = switch gives priority to tuner 2).

That's OK for mine, as being an HD box I use HDMI & not SCART. But for a Sky+ box, the TV OUT SCART is obviously going to be in use for the TV!

I'm not sure if they're still made, but you could search around Satcure & Pulsat etc. (just Google "sps1 smart priority switch"). Hopefully someone has come up with a better solution for Sky+ boxes by now.

Cheers,

Matt