Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Problem

This is a discussion on Sky+ Problem within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I have had Sky+ for the past year with no problems. It was a self-installation and we only used one ...

battlezone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01489
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ Problem

I have had Sky+ for the past year with no problems. It was a self-installation and we only used one coax cable. We have now got round to putting the second coax cable to the Sky box. Trouble is we cannot record another channel whilst watching the other channel. Everything works fine when watching/recording one channel.

When we try and record another channel whilst watching a different TV programme we get the message "no satellite signal is being received". Is there anyone who can help me?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky+ Problem

How have you done the second cable? Have you changed the LNB and fed the second cable from that?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      How have you done the second cable? Have you changed the LNB and fed the second cable from that?
      We have always a quad LNB. I have a free sat box running in a different room which I know works so I have even swapped the cable to see if that was the problem but it was not.

Are there some buttons that I need to press to get the box to recognise the second cable - or should it be automatic?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It should just work.

Have you checked in the services menu for your signal strength? It should look similar to input1 with signal locked.

Chances are you have a poorly fitted f-plug.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It should just work.

Have you checked in the services menu for your signal strength? It should look similar to input1 with signal locked.

Chances are you have a poorly fitted f-plug.
      The OH has just checked the services menu and he is getting no signal. The OH has just re-done the f-plugs and no joy. He now tells me that the cable has not been cut from the reel (which was about 100metres long). I am sure I have read somewhere that you lose signal quality if the cable is too long - is that correct? The dish is about 30 metres from our house but we have had no problem with the signal to the Sky box and the free sat box. Should I get him to shorten the cable?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You should cut the cable to the correct length, this can effect the signal as not only does the signal come down from the dish the receiver sends a voltage up to the LNB, this may put a strain on the PSU, can you swap the working cable in the back to test it is not the receiver,

You should be able to swap it over from input 1 - 2 and see the signal indicator move to whichever one it is in, that should prove that it is a cable issue and not a faulty receiver.

Thanks

The OH has found out it is a problem with the LNB. Even though there are four outlets - only two outlets are receiving a full signal. Of the other outlets one receives a signal but only BBC News24 and the last outlet receives no signal at all. Do you think the LNB is "broke" or is there something the OH can do - at least with the outlet that is receiving one channel? It is an Invacom LNB. Thank you for your help in this matter.