Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky plus digital video output where is it?

This is a discussion on sky plus digital video output where is it? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; this is the second time iv posted this so hope it works Connected up my new sony 32W4000 and after ...

sky4us is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sky plus digital video output where is it?

this is the second time iv posted this so hope it works

Connected up my new sony 32W4000 and after auto tuning all the digital terrestrial channels I looked at the output from sky on the scart line and side by side BBC1 was far better on direct terrestrial as sky degraded the signal. This is because the box transcodes from digital to analogue RGB outputs it to the TV via scart then the TV transcodes it again to digital for the display.
      Why havnt thompson included a digital video output even though its non hd at least it stays in the digital dommain.
      I suppose sky wants people to by the Sky HD box to do this.
      Anyone looked inside a sky c+ box to see if its possible to wire in a digital output for the video.
      scart to HDMI Upscalers on ebay cost 56 GBP and probably wont do any good anyway as the signals already been ruined by the sky+ box
      anyone got any ideas apart from the obvious of going to Sky HD
      kevin

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: sky plus digital video output where is it?

This was done years ago using a standard Sky box and reviewed in What Satellite mag. I'll try and find the details for you. I think that the cheaper option of going for a Sky HD Box would be better thro.

Thanks

Sorry I cannot find the artical, but I do remember that it could only be done with first generation boxes (with later boxes,no doubt including all the "+" ones, chip intergration prevented extraction of the signal)

Thanks

Ah found it The original artical appered in the September 2000 Edition of What Satellite & Digital TV . But there is a further artical in the July 2004 edition, which covers how to extract the digital signal from a first generation Sky + box.
      Hope this helps

If you want the artical, I cannot scan it in, but if you PM me your address I will happly put the mag in the post
      Last edited by Brian69; 09-12-08 at 11:37 AM.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sky4us View Post
      this is the second time iv posted this so hope it works

Connected up my new sony 32W4000 and after auto tuning all the digital terrestrial channels I looked at the output from sky on the scart line and side by side BBC1 was far better on direct terrestrial as sky degraded the signal. This is because the box transcodes from digital to analogue RGB outputs it to the TV via scart then the TV transcodes it again to digital for the display.
      Why havnt thompson included a digital video output even though its non hd at least it stays in the digital dommain.
      I suppose sky wants people to by the Sky HD box to do this.
      Anyone looked inside a sky c+ box to see if its possible to wire in a digital output for the video.
      scart to HDMI Upscalers on ebay cost 56 GBP and probably wont do any good anyway as the signals already been ruined by the sky+ box
      anyone got any ideas apart from the obvious of going to Sky HD
      kevin
      The box decrypts and decodes the MPEG transport stream back into pictures that a display can then show.
      Your TV decrypts and decodes DTT MPEG transport streams, your TV still needs to decode them (from MPEG to discrete 25 frames per second video).
      Your TV screen is still made up of picture elements (pixels) each one of which is made RG and B.
      I've not really explained it very well, but in short you are misunderstanding how your 'digital' TV works.

A HD TV will have a HDMI (or DVI) digital input, but the HD STB is still required to decode the MPEG2/H.264 compressed digital information. The HDMI connection carries 1.5Gb/s of video data to the TV, which is created from the decoded H.264 stream at between 2 and 20Mb/s.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Of course it could be the BBC simply transmits more data over Freeview. In my opinion the BBC pictures varies from channel to channel and also over time on the same channel. BBC HD is possibly the best comparison.

I also seem to remember Sky had to omit 'digital out' connections due to limitations placed upon it by the Movie people who were afraid that perfect copies could be made of their movies when they were trying to sell them at Tesco for 5.99.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Of course it could be the BBC simply transmits more data over Freeview. In my opinion the BBC pictures varies from channel to channel and also over time on the same channel. BBC HD is possibly the best comparison.

I also seem to remember Sky had to omit 'digital out' connections due to limitations placed upon it by the Movie people who were afraid that perfect copies could be made of their movies when they were trying to sell them at Tesco for 5.99.
      For a standard definition STB the only digital video out you could have would be an SDI one. SDI inputs are pretty much only available on high end Professional broadcast equipment. I doubt anyone reading here has an SDI capable monitor at home (that hasn't made its way there from work anyway!).
      Sky don't broadcast BBC channels. The Beeb does its own encoding muxing and pays a third party for uplinking. On satellite they do have to multiplex 6 or so regions of BBC1 together on three or more transponders to cover the UK. 6 of the same video being muxed together does not stat mux efficiently. Stat muxing works better with completely different material on each encoder as its unlikely all encoders require a high bit rate at any one time.

Thanks

As the OP has not responded if any one else would like the July 2004 mag, just let me know.