Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DVD Recorder acting as Digital tuner

This is a discussion on DVD Recorder acting as Digital tuner within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi Newbie to this section but posted many times in the Broadband forum. Searched for this but couldnít find anything ...

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

DVD Recorder acting as Digital tuner

Hi
      Newbie to this section but posted many times in the Broadband forum.
      Searched for this but couldnít find anything exactly like my problem.

Had SKY + for about 3 weeks and yesterday bought and installed a Toshiba DVD recorder with an inbuilt digital tuner. As is always the case the manual assumes that everything goes straight to the telly so improvised to accommodate the SKY + box.

We still have a separate VCR to configuration was as follows:
      Scart from VCR to DVD Recorder
      Scart from DVD Recorder to SKY +
      Scart from SKY + to TV (TV does not have digital tuner)

Just canít get my head around relationship between the DVD Recorder operating in Tuner mode and SKY Plus. The DVD Recorder was supposed to tune automatically to Digital Terrestrial and analogue channels the first time I switched on but didnít do this so I tried to do it manually. When you switch the recorder on it defaults to AV1 but there is an additional channel AV2 which seems to be the same. My brother said he had to switch off his SKY + box to watch TV using the DVD recorder but I have tried that and donít see any evidence of the recorder searching for Freeview channels etc.

I know this is a bit academic as I get all my channels thru SKY and will probably invest in a digital TV before long. I just wanted to see evidence that the digital tuner in the recorder was functioning and not restricted by something I had done inadvertently.

I also understood one could watch one satellite channel, record another (or record 2) and simultaneously watch/record another Freview channel using the recorder.

Forgive me for being so laborious but didnít want to miss anything. Sure there must be a link to a simple explanation for this so would be very grateful for that.

Many thanks for your time
      Longshanks

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: DVD Recorder acting as Digital tuner

It seems possible you have all your connections on the OUTPUT side of the Sky+ box so won't see any INPUT from the DVD. I have a set up not dissimilar to yours but I have to have the OUTPUT from the Digital Tuner inputing to a DVD/HDD and then onto my TV. I don't think you can achieve what you are trying through the Sky+ box because it is essentially an OUTPUT device. I think you need to connect your DVD direct to the TV for OUTPUT and directly to the Sky+ box if you want INPUT from Satellite.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The easiest way to setup your DVD recorder is to connect it directly into the TV via the scart, plug the aerial into the RF in and then get it to run the setup. Once you have it all up and running you can then introduce the SKY+ and the VCR.

Connect the RF out of the DVD to the RF in on the SKY+ (this assumes you do not need to record terrestial TV on your VCR, if you do you need to go into the DVD then to the VCR then to the SKY+ with the aerial) then fom the RF out of the Sky+ to the TV.

Connect the Sky+ scart marked TV to the TV and the SKY+ scart marked VCR to the DVD recorder, this should then show up on one of the DVD's AV channels.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks dms05 and Smithy99.

Won't pretend to understand all this but will follow the workaround suggested in the second post. I can follow the logic and process Smithy99 but can I just clarify:

1. When you connect the SKY+ scart to the DVD recorder which of the two sockets should I use?

2. I don't think I will ever need to record terrestrial on the VCR but your process does not include connecting the DVD scart socket to the VCR. Is this correct?

3. When you say "this should then show up as one of the DVD's AV channels"... do you mean the VCR channel?

Sorry to be so thick. Rest assured that I appreciate your advice and am not a complete novice (been fiddling with DVD input/output scarts to accommodate VCR transfer to PC using Camcorder as pass thru etc)

Thanks again

L

Thanks

Sorry, it does sound a little muddled but it's one of those things that is easier when you are doing it.

I will try to answer your questions:-

1- You should use the VCR out scart socket on the Sky+ to connect to the DVD recorder, this will allow you to use the copy function on the Sky+ box as long as copyright protection allows it.

2- I am assuming that you are only keeping the VCR to allow you to watch some tapes that you already have as you can now record terrestial on you DVD recorder and also Sky+. You are still able to record analog TV and view back by tuning the VCR into the TV if it is not already. If you have any spare scart inputs on the TV you could also connect the VCR directly to it which may make it easier.

3- The DVD recorder will have a way to input another external signal, this should be via scart and you will need to change the input channel on the DVD recorder to allow you to record things on Sky, ie, 1- for bbc1, 2- for BBC2, 3- for ITV and AV1 (or something similar maybe EXT1) for the external source that is Sky.

Remember you have to have the Sky+ box turned on to the channel you are recording to do this so you would be better to record it using the Sky+ and then if you want to keep it copy it across at a more convienient time.

Hope this helps, i've re-read it a few times and it seems to make sense to me, I think

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for this. Really appreciate your time here.

Yes need VCR cos my wife has many old Disney originals and doesn't believe in the new digital revolution.

Unfortunately TV only has one scart.

Still a bit confused about VCR. Current set up is:

Scart linking TV with TV scart socket on SKY Plus box.
      Scart linking SKY Plus VR to DVD Recorder (as you have just stated)
      Scart linking DVD recorder to VCR.

It's this last bit I'm not sure about. You also mentioned connecting the RF out on the DVD to the RF in on the SKY Plus box. Is this also necessary.

Promise this will be last post!

Many thanks again

L

Thanks

Only having one scart on the TV is a problem, you could really do with connecting the DVD and the Sky+ to the TV via scart.

Does the TV have any other inputs? sometimes you connect to AV2 using phono plugs. one red, one white for the audio and one yellow for video. If so you can get a scart to phono cable.

There is no need to link your VCR to anything other than to TV and as you have a shortage of scart's you can just do this via the RF and tune it into the TV on a spare channel. Just ensure that the aerial goes intoo the DVD, then the Sky+ then the CVR then the TV. You may have to move the Sky+ frequency if you get some patterning on screen.

I would connect the RF out of the DVD to the RF in on the Sky+ to allow me to send the aerial feeds around the house using RF2, also if in futrue you upgrade to a freeview TV you will need it connecting to receive the freeview channels.

Finally, if your TV does only have one scart and no other inputs, you may be forced to fit a scart switcher to enable you to connect the DVD ans Sky+ both to the TV without needing to plug and unplug things. At a push you could just tuns the Sky+ into the TV via the RF but you wont get as good a picture.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks

Have now introduced scart splitter so all is well.

Many thanks for your time and advice.

L

djohn2002uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01285
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I would connect the RF out of the DVD to the RF in on the Sky+ to allow me to send the aerial feeds around the house using RF2, also if in futrue you upgrade to a freeview TV you will need it connecting to receive the freeview channels.
      I found that connecting the RF via my Sony DVD recorder then via my old Sky box to my Sony TV with Freeview tuner I couldn't get the same number of Freeview channels on the TV as on the DVD. Next I upgraded to Sky+ with an Amstrad and after probs got it replaced with a Pace. All the time still less channels on the TV. I now have a Y splitter where the RF enters the Pace box so that the RF to the TV by-passes the Sky+ box and have all the Freeview channels on the TV. As the analogue channels showed no loss in quality via the Sky box I am assuming that there is some attenuation just on the digital signal in Sky boxes.