Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ box and TV picture....

This is a discussion on Sky+ box and TV picture.... within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Am I right in thinking that the Sky picture should be better than a bog standard aerial picture? I just ...

johng_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shawbury
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ box and TV picture....

Am I right in thinking that the Sky picture should be better than a bog standard aerial picture?

I just got a brand new 42" LCD and on the normal aerial the picture looks fantastic. On DVD's it's also brilliant (probably because I'm using an upscaling DVD player and HDMI connection lead).

However, the Sky+ box picture is grainy and horrible. My old Sky+ box went on the blink a few days back and the 1st reconditioned box I got to replace this had the well known low volume fault Hence I never tested the new TV on it. This 2nd box is connected via a scart lead which I used in my old TV without any such problems - Otherwise I would put it down to the lead.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I wrong in assuming that the picture quality should be better? Are there any known problems with grainy picture's on reconditioned Sky+ boxes?

I had to battle hard to get a free Sky+ box repair but prevailed due to having been a member for 12 years or so. I've then had to call out 2 repairmen and had 2 'new' boxes in the space of a week and a bit. I'm close to just calling it a day with Sky. Hoping you guys and girls can enlighten me and help sort this prob!

Thanks in advance.

John

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ box and TV picture....

I have Sky HD. On my 40" Samsung the Sky HD (BBC HD, C4 HD etc) looks better than my upscaled DVD player when both are played through HDMI. However if I switch the same Sky source from HDMI to SCART then the picture does look very inferior as you would expect as one is SD and the other HD. The upscaled DVD is somewhere in between. I don't have a terrestrial input (as my local relay only does analogue) but I assume yours is a Digital and you are watching Freeview.

When using HDMI from my Sky box to the TV I can see definite differences between channels. FIVE is often the best and approaches HD quality on some sources from Australia - I'm told this is because FIVE use very high data bit rates.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ box and TV picture....

If you haven't already done so make sure your Sky box is outputing RGB rather than composite video, that makes a hudge difference on mine. Then problem with big TV's is that they will show up poor quality source's. I have a 32" LCD and the Sky picture is actually slightly better than the built in freeview picture.