Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Advice re Sky Plus Upgrade

This is a discussion on Advice re Sky Plus Upgrade within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Just unpacked the PSVR3 from it's box, everything (except phone line) up and ready to go, when the first thing ...

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Advice re Sky Plus Upgrade

Just unpacked the PSVR3 from it's box, everything (except phone line) up and ready to go, when the first thing I notice emblazened across the top of the box, is a banner declaring,

Note to the installation engineer

'It is imperative that an OVER AIR software upgrade is performed during installation'

Can anyone advise me what this means, and how I perform this requirement, I cannot find any reference to this operation in the user manual?

Many thanks all help appreciated ...

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

- set TV to watch sky via scart connection
      - unplug from mains
      - hold down backup key on sky box (not remote)
      - power back up (whist still holding down back up)
      - wait for onscreen message re software upgrade and then let go of back up key
      - let box do its stuff (maybe 10-15mins)

Exchange:
      Thanks

as per my previous post (number 8)!!!!

Thanks

Thanks Reddwarf,

Then its only a software upgrade, I thought from the phraseology that the phone line was threatening to intercede.

I'll sleep better tonight and do battle tomorrow!

My appreciation ...

Exchange:
      Thanks

the clue is in 'over air' (ie satelite) as opposed to 'over wire' (telephone) .

Thanks

Well as anticipated, a no go. Everything connected, a great signal so go onto Sky to upgrade viewing card. After 15 mins, of talking me through the procedure, they said - oh - there's an 'error message'. When I attempted an upgrade to Skyplus HD a year ago, as the local dealer advised me I had to have a phone line connected for Skyplus HD, (see earlier post), I cancelled, and instead purchased a Pace DS440NB to replace my then defunct Panansonic.

I then rung CS (July '07) and had the card changed to the DS44ONB. Somewhere along the line they never removed the original HD request.

I've now had to put a loose extension line onto the Skyplus box (as per their instructions) and await them recalling me! Somehow I don't reckon much on that happening.

In the meantime I've attempted to upgrade the software 'over air' - and get the screen message telling me its upgrading etc. However after about 15 mins the screen just goes speckly and the box goes to standby - is this normal?

Upon rebooting the box the software is unchanged at 5.02F, is this the latest version then I wonder, and can't upgrade further?

Anyway presently I can get no movie channels, or Sky one, but can receive Channels 4 and 5?

UPDATE

Rung again two hours on. After waiting 34 mins, I requested an update. The person I spoke with, had no idea what I was talking about, nor were there any notes on my file and no request had been made, resulting from my earlier call, to a 'Higher Place' to help me. Eventually after half an hour of musical chairs and threatening 'Armageddon' etc, I spoke with Adam in Tech Support, apparently Sky are very 'busy at the moment'! He was however helpful, polite and showed some empathy, a rare component in Sky personnel I find! He confirmed that no action had been requested from my 11.30am call.

He said that because Sky had left my cancelled HD upgrade resident upon my software from last year (a mistake he fully admitted), this now had to re-written to remove it, and to then presumably, put my new Amstrad on. This could take 3 days. He did explain I could 'plumb back in' my old Pace box, and then await a screen message when I tried to select Sports or a movie advising I had the 'wrong type of viewing card' for this box, - which of course is what shows in the new Plus digibox at present. When this occurs, it means the viewing card has been updated and synced with the Plus Amstrad. At no stage prior to this, did the two women I spoke with advise me of this option!

Adam also advised that the 'EPG' version number (5.02.F) was not the method they use to signify 'software versions'. Apparently the Amstrad version number, as shown on the 'Services' menu is the key factor.

I'm recording all this, to help someone else, who may have to suffer the problems I've had with Sky. My family were all for giving them the old heave-ho as I'm not contracted, and couldn't believe the way we were being treated and the appallingly long waits to speak to someone. In our family business we certainly could not have afforded this inertia, still we weren't a monopoly either!

Trouble is they've cornered the world TV market for cricket, which I really enjoy. But I can understand why so many people have packed it in with them - they just don't care.
      Last edited by skydance; 05-09-08 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Content upgrade

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123