Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Advice re Sky Plus Upgrade

This is a discussion on Advice re Sky Plus Upgrade within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; @ FelixTcat. Yes you could do that, you would need to ring sky to get your card paired to the ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Advice re Sky Plus Upgrade

@ FelixTcat.
      Yes you could do that, you would need to ring sky to get your card paired to the new box (painless)
      But, and this may be a big "but" for you, Sky will not replace your Sky+ box should it fail (weather you pay 65 or not). they may also include the dish and cables as well.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Brian, not sure that is correct, I recently purchased a used (upgraded PSU) HD box from e-bay, installed it myself,paired card etc (had Sky+ before) and used it fror a few days before I started to have problemd with it.

I rang Sky as I didn't want to send it back via post to the guy I bought it off due to the downtime (I had already installed my old Sky+ box at my parents house) explained that I had a HD box that I had bought privately and installed myself etc and they confirmed that the 65 would cover the call and also a replacement box if required.

I can only assume that would also apply to this situation although I would make them agree it before a visit was booked.

I didn't need the call in the end, opened the box and reseated the ribbon cable that wasn't quite fitted and have had no problems since.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I got the info from the T&C's. The important bit is

1.3 "This warranty does not apply to Sky Satellite Equipment if it was not supplied by Sky or an authorised agent"

But if Sky will do the 65 visit, jolly good!. But I would want to be sure first.

When I did my PS board, I gave both connectors a squirt of switch cleaner, they are very stiff and hard to seat properly with out a shot of lubrcation.
      Last edited by Brian69; 30-08-08 at 10:56 AM.

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Me again, I tried for over 50 mins to connect to Sky Customer Services today (30th - Saturday) a bad day I guess, but inevitably gave up. This is the 3rd day running I've attempted to talk to someone on a query I have viz;

I don't want to connect a phone line to my Skyplus box. I've read on here (a while ago), that you pay Sky a one-off 25 'Fine' and they waive the condition, of compulsory phone hook-up, does this still apply?

Meanwhile, will my present viewer card, operate in the Skyplus box (without full functions of course).

My aerial is now converted and I'd really like to use the plusbox straight away, and use it for viewing, until I can get through to C/S and advise the change?

Finally any tips on how to contact the right department in Sky to advise about the change and phone line scenario, or is that wishful thinking?

Many thanks ...

Thanks

Your card will work in the plus box but if you try to connect to a premium channel you will get a message and a number to ring, use this number to contact them and you should get through much quicker. (only took me 5mins from ringing to having it all sorted and on-screen).

If you have had your current Sky for over a yr then you will not need to connect the phone line, the only time you MUST have it connected is to order via the red button or if you have multiroom.

I wouldn't bother paying extra for the lack of phone, just don't connect it and cross that bridge if it becomes a problem, which I don't think it will, I never had mine connected from the day it was installed.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 30-08-08 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Smithy, your help is very much appreciated, just to clarify,

I've been with Sky 9 years now, and never had the phone connected. I'd heard Sky need to 'ring' the new 'PlusBox' to enable it, obviously from what you say, this isn't the case?

As I see it then, I

1) Put the current viewing card into the Skyplus box.
      2) Try to access a 'Premium Channel' (by this do you mean box office or an HD channel?)
      3) Ring that number (08702 404020), and tell them I've converted to Skyplus, and to activate the card

To conclude, your saying their action, to achieve this alteration can be initiated by satellite link and NOT telephonically, (the same as when I altered my original Panasonic box to Pace a year or so back)? Incidentally I was not a member here then unfortunately, and the local dealer told me I HAD to be connected by phone, or else Sky would not provide the Skyplus service, hence I stayed 'nonplussed' as running an extension would require a very difficult and expensive install.

Again my appreciation.
      Last edited by skydance; 30-08-08 at 08:51 PM. Reason: text

Thanks

Yes, you've got the gist, you certainly don't need a phone to activate, I have gone from standard to Sky+ and now to HD all without the phone and without any problems

When you ring tell them you have fitted a Sky+ receiver and can they pair the card and activate the Sky+ features, should take no more than ten minutes, they will advise it may take a few hours to come through but everytime I have rang them it has happened before I put the phone down.

They will need the serial number from the box which can be found on then system details page but they will walk you through this when talking to you.

Sky+ is superb and I cannot imagine not having it now, my parents who have my old Sky+ find it so much easier to use than a VCR etc.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 30-08-08 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks

Thanks again Smithy, I've just inherited mine from a relative, whose had to repatriate to a nursing home, it's 6 months old and never been unwrapped. As a matter of interest, do you know if the viewing card would then work back in my existing Pacebox, actually in the event of Skyplus 'breakling down'? I am in a Penthouse flat, with flat roof access to the 'Antennae area', so I actually have two aerials, one the 'shared' unit with the other flats in the block (single feed) to one room, and my own, which I converted myself to a quad LNB and twin feed this week (supplying another room). So I have the option of two feeds.

Thanks

Once the card is paired with a box it will only work fully with that box, in the event of a failure you will need to ring and have it paired to the spare box again. In theory you could do this as many times as required but I would imagine Sky would ask questions eventually as to why you needed to do it so often.

They would be concerned that you were moving the card from one property to another.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      They would be concerned that you were moving the card from one property to another.
      Hadn't thought of that Smithy, and I can see their reasoning, now you mention it!

My gratitude to you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast