Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky+ problems

This is a discussion on Sky+ problems within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello all Last June I moved into a new build flat under a part-buy part-rent scheme through a Housing Association. ...

gazareth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ problems

Hello all

Last June I moved into a new build flat under a part-buy part-rent scheme through a Housing Association. The flat was ready-prepared for Sky+, with a communal dish on the building and 2 satellite cable points on the wall plate in the lounge. I ordered Sky TV and broadband, and used them without problems until May.

In May, I bought a Thomson Sky+ box from ebay (model number 127k148), and a second satellite cable from Maplin. I phoned Sky and got them do to the needfuls on my account so that it was all set up for the new box and for the Sky+ services.

I think that at first, everything worked as it should, but I cannot be sure. In June or July of this year, I had some problems with the box not getting any signal at all; I realised that my old cable was kaputt so I replaced it and I was able to watch TV again.

However, I am not able to enjoy the full functionality of my Sky+ box. For example, this morning I turned on the box (it had been off at the wall), hit Services, System Setup and Signal test, and it showed a good signal for input 1 and input 2. However, when I hit record for BBC1, I was unable to view other channels. Oddly, I could still view BBC2, but not Sky Sports 1. At this point, input 2 was showing no signal and the 'Lock indicator' stated 'not locked' rather than 'OK'.

I phoned Sky this morning and they said that it's either a problem with the cable going into the box (which is new) or with the dish. The guy upstairs from me also has Sky+ with the same setup, and is not having any problems.

Is there a problem with this second-hand box? Or is it a cable thing? Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ problems

What happens if you simply swap the leads so that Wall Socket One to Sky+ LNB Socket One becomes Wall Socket One to Sky+ Two and vica versa?

BBC2 and Sky Sports 1 are both Horizontal polarisation but one (SkyS1) is at the upper end of the fequency range whilst BBC2 is at the lower end. However if a neighbour is not having a problem then it seems unlikely to be the system and more likely to be your box or leads.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried swapping the cables round at the wall end and when I switched the box on I got the 'no satellite signal being received' message immediately...

I swapped them back and did some more playing around. Once again, when I switched the box on, the signal test reported a good signal on both inputs. I went to Sky Sports 1 and pressed record. I could then view BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 OK. I tried a few other channels (SS2 & 3, MTV2, Paramount) and these showed up the 'no signal' message.

I guess I should buy another cable and see if that makes a difference? Could this be an error with the box? i.e. Have I been sold a duff box?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You could try a forced update of the box firmware first. But new cables would help eliminate possible causes.

To update the firmware:

The procedure is as follows:

Unplug the box. Count slowly to thirty.

Press and hold down the 'back up' button on the front panel (not the remote control).

Plug the box back in, with 'back up' still held.

After a few seconds all four of the indicators will light up.

You can let go of the 'back up' button now. :-)

You should see a simple message on the screen (large white letters on a black background).

The upgrade process is 'expected' to take around ten minutes. It took me just six, but maybe that was good luck.
      DO NOT TOUCH THE BOX!!!
      Seriously, don't touch it, don't alter anything, don't unplug it.

When the upgrade is complete, the indicators will return to the normal 'standby' mode.

You can now use your box as normal.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds as if the "new" cable might have a thinner or shorter centre core which is not making contact in one of the sockets. Or it's just plain faulty. Did you fit the 'F' plugs correctly?
      How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Radford View Post
      Sounds as if the "new" cable might have a thinner or shorter centre core which is not making contact in one of the sockets. Or it's just plain faulty. Did you fit the 'F' plugs correctly?
      How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable
      I bought a ready-made cable (if 'F' plugs are the screwy bits that are on either end of the cable) from Wickes. Does that sound right?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The cheapie ready-made leads often have a too-thin centre core.

(You don't have "if" anything if you read the page I gave you).

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried swapping out the Wickes cable on input 2 for another Maplin cable, meaning that I have 2 Maplin cables "in play". It made no odds.

I then successfully updated the box using the procedure outlined by dms05 above. Again, it made no difference.

Unless someone can suggest something else, I'm going to give iSat a call to see if they can send an engineer out.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Did you do the firmware update?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Radford View Post
      Did you do the firmware update?
      Quote Originally Posted by gazareth View Post
      I then successfully updated the box using the procedure outlined by dms05 above. Again, it made no difference
      (yep)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast