Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky +

This is a discussion on Sky + within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR If I have understood this thread properly,. Not sure i have Originally Posted by NewsreadeR 1) ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky +

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If I have understood this thread properly,.
      Not sure i have

1) The second STB was not connected
      as you say, with multiroom they do move the original to another location, but just an upgrade i would not be sure about (not even sure why i have tried to answer this one )

2) Picture (normal TV) is poor on the other TV's
      i do think this is because of the RF out or splitter as the signal is not being recieved properly, if it was from the dish to second box then i would ask sky, but it seems to be from the back of the main (New) box

all in all i think i have far to much time on my hands today and should stick to what i'm good at (in the BB sections telling people to try the test socket lol)

will be nice to find out what the problems are and how they are sorted in the end

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just to add my two'penneth.

If we go back to the start, before the upgrade to sky+, I take it you could watch all the "normal" channels on all t.v's and whatever the Sky box was showing, is that correct?
      Since the upgrade to Sky+, the reception on the sets other than the main one is poor on some channels. Is that correct?
      In the first instance you need to check that the t.v aerial is connected to the aerial input of the sky+ box, and that the output RF2 is connected to the splitter in the loft.
      It may also be that the supply on RF2 needs to be turned on, as it may be an amp in the loft powered by the sky box.
      Go to system set-up on the sky+box, then press 0 1 select. Select RF Outlets and check outlet power is on.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Just to add my two'penneth.

please, please do, i think every time i reply on this thread i'm digging a deeper hole for myself

DG8
      DG8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0167140
      Broadband ISP: Sky +
      Sky TV:
      At home with Nigglie Nellie my wife of 38 years in South West Scotland - My Post Code is DG8 ***
      Thanks

Sorry for not replying sooner - I was shopping.

Before Sky+ I had a "normal Sky box" with all the channels film, sport, discovery etc. All televisions in the house were tuned into BBC1/BBC2/Border/Channel4 and Channel5 and worked independently.

The normal Sky box was also tuned into each TV but could only watch the channel which was on the downstairs TV and could not be turned over to another channel unless you went downstairs or asked someone who was downstairs to do it for you.

The information the salesman gave me was that for 10 per month [on top of the price of the Sky+ box] I would be able to change channels upstairs by using the "old" Sky box in one of the bedrooms and that the price of the Sky+ box and 10 per month would include the installation and setting up.

This was not done - only the setting up of the new Sky+ and I am left with very poor reception on all TV's upstairs and because it was only installed last Saturday I do not know if I will be paying 10 per month yet. That is why I'm looking for advice and a customer support email address.

I sent Sky an email on Sunday and I have not received a reply yet so I do not know if I sent it to the correct address or whither Sky has a poor service delivery.

As you may be aware I am technology illiterate so asking me about Splifts or whatever will be wasting your time I'm too thick.

Many thanks for helping me.

DG8
      Sky TV:
      At home with Nigglie Nellie my wife of 38 years in South West Scotland - My Post Code is DG8 ***
      Thanks

Just a wee update - I went and had a look at my satellite dish, there is two wires connected to the dish, there was only one wire before. These two wires go round the outside wall of my house in through an opening in my sitting room window pane and into the back of the Sky+ box, as I have said prior to installation of Sky+ there was only one wire. Does this small piece of information help?

DG8
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can someone look at the attachment and let me know if I'm paying for the second box. I managed to open my sky account and as the Sky+ and phone are new services for me I have never visited this site before.

I was with BSB [British Satellite Broadcasting] at the outset and I have been with Sky since the day the took over BSB - life was more simple in the good old days.

Many thanks.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky +-bm-2.jpg  

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DG8 View Post
      Can someone look at the attachment and let me know if I'm paying for the second box. I managed to open my sky account and as the Sky+ and phone are new services for me I have never visited this site before.

I was with BSB [British Satellite Broadcasting] at the outset and I have been with Sky since the day the took over BSB - life was more simple in the good old days.

Many thanks.
      Well it looks as if you are paying an extra 10 per month for multiroom. That means that you should have a third cable from the satellite dish going to the old satellite receiver that should be in the bedroom (or wherever you wanted it).

This is how it should be setup.

1: Sky+ box fitted in main room, aerial from the roof into it and two feeds from the satellite dish. (that is this TV taken care of)

2: Your old satellite receiver in your bedroom with another feed from the satellite dish.

3: Now this is where it may get a little complicated, The RF2 output from the Sky+ box downstairs sounds as if it is ran around the house to the other TVs, that's why you could watch satellite channels on them. This is more than likley done by running a lead from the RF2 output of the Sky+ box into an aerial amplifier and then it will be split from there to the other TVs.

Some aerial amplifiers use the Sky box to supply them power to work and amplify the signal. If when your new Sky+ box was installed the installer did not turn on this supply then you will lose pictures on the TVs connected to it (or they may go a little fuzzy).

You need to check that in the back of the Sky+ receiver you have a lead connected to the RF2 Output. If you do you then need to check if the RF2 power supply is turned on, if it's not, turn it on, remember to save the settings and see if that improves the other pictures.

To do this:-

Press Services on the Sky remote, Go to system set-up, then press 0 1 select (you need to do this quickly to get into the hidden menu). Select RF Outlets, change RF outlet power to ON, go to save settings and press select.

Sorry it's a little long winded but wanted to try to explain it with some detail.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 18-07-08 at 07:38 PM.

DG8
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks very much for the advice if I am paying 10 per month then the installing guy should have connected the "old Sky box" into one of the bedrooms. There is only the two leads coming off the satellite both into the Sky+ box in the sitting room.

As I have said I'm not too bright at anything, and even although you have went to great lengths to try and make your instructions as simple as possible - you have never came across me before and I can guarantee you will find no-one more simple than me. I will try to get Sky to send the installation gay back to do the job I'm paying for.

Many thanks for your assistance, it is very much appreciated.

DG8
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Up date on present Sky+ issue.

I phone Sky customer support today - I was connected to a very pleasant and obliging young man [unfortunately I forget his name] I explained the problem I'm having and he checked my account. He revealed that I am paying 10 per month multi-view and that someone had made a boob by updating my details to include multi-view but had missed passing on this small detail to the installers.

Now another engineer has been booked for this coming Wednesday afternoon, to come all the way to my small village [160 miles round trip] to "sort" what the other guy refused to do - mind you his work slip did say only to install Sky+, but a quick phone call to his employers could have resolved the issue with a more positive outcome!

Now, can someone explain what I'm entitled to? Someone said that the Sky+ multi-view [10 per month] will only supply the Sky+ in the sitting room and the "old Sky box" in one bedroom - if I want my other children in the remaining 2 bedrooms to receive Sky [without the advantage of being able to switch channels] I would need to pay another 20 per month?

I would be obliged if someone who has read all the communication on this thread, and understands what I'm trying to say, If you can help me collect all the relevant information for Wednesday so that all problems are sorted once and for all.

Many thanks.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DG8 View Post
      Up date on present Sky+ issue.

I phone Sky customer support today - I was connected to a very pleasant and obliging young man [unfortunately I forget his name] I explained the problem I'm having and he checked my account. He revealed that I am paying 10 per month multi-view and that someone had made a boob by updating my details to include multi-view but had missed passing on this small detail to the installers.

Now another engineer has been booked for this coming Wednesday afternoon, to come all the way to my small village [160 miles round trip] to "sort" what the other guy refused to do - mind you his work slip did say only to install Sky+, but a quick phone call to his employers could have resolved the issue with a more positive outcome!

Now, can someone explain what I'm entitled to? Someone said that the Sky+ multi-view [10 per month] will only supply the Sky+ in the sitting room and the "old Sky box" in one bedroom - if I want my other children in the remaining 2 bedrooms to receive Sky [without the advantage of being able to switch channels] I would need to pay another 20 per month?

I would be obliged if someone who has read all the communication on this thread, and understands what I'm trying to say, If you can help me collect all the relevant information for Wednesday so that all problems are sorted once and for all.

Many thanks.

No need to pay any extra for what you want. Each 10 if for an extra satellite receiver, as you don't want the kids to have their own setup, they can carry on viewing the pictures from downstairs.

Remember to tell the Sky engineer that the current Sky+ box downstairs is also linked to the other two bedrooms via the RF2. He will come across this all the time and check to make sure it is working as it was before.

Make sure you check that the other TVs are working as you want them too before he leaves.

If you wanted you could ask him to fit a magic eye in the bedrooms, then the kids would be able to change channels from upstairs, but remember if they do then the TV downstairs will also change (also may cause arguments when they keep turning the channel over) but it's an option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast