Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Split one feed into two

This is a discussion on Split one feed into two within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Originally Posted by Junty Mcfadden ermmmmm WTF .... the LNB on most sky installs now has 8 outs - there ...

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Split one feed into two

Quote Originally Posted by Junty Mcfadden View Post
      ermmmmm WTF .... the LNB on most sky installs now has 8 outs - there is no clever 'decoder' on the dish - all a LNB does is get the signal from the dish, and provide a connection so that you can cable to a box - the clever bits happen in the box itself - all that talk of polarity is rubbish - the polarity of the signal is fixed at the point of broadcast (from chilworth, where it then goes up to the sat to be broadcast back down within the footprint of that sat) the multiplexing (muxing) also all happens at point of broadcast.

When the signal via a cable hits the back of the box it THEN gets decoded - in a Sky+ box there are TWO decoders - hence the need for TWO cables (this then gives the ability to watch and record TWO different channels, as each 'signal' is being independantly decoded, and either made available to view OR record - the problem in spiltting a cable is all about impedence, and F all to do with all the other crap i see posted here, so a VDA (video distribution amp) may be required if the cable run from the box to the dish is too long, as by splitting the cable you are reducing the 'noise' level of the signal, and if this level is reduced to much, no picture! By using a VDA you therefore amplify the signal allowing it to be split without signal degredation - all very simple and all very basic electrictronics and shame on all the numpties filling this post with BS using words they've heard on countdown.

love and kisses (to all the ladies )
      J McF
      Hi Junty, sorry but you're wrong.
      The LNB does contain some cleverness, and it does indeed select which polarity of signal is being recieved. The uplink (Chilworth, Fair Oak, Brooklands Park, Winchester Teleport, Morn Hill etc) signal also has a polarity, but that can change on the satellite transponder, as does the frequency (uplink frequency is not the same as the downlink).
      The signalling from the STB tells the LNB which polarity and band the LNB should feed to the STB. Hence you CANNOT split a satelite feed as you cannot send two sets of signals to a single LNB output.

Speaking of BS, the signal which comes out of the LNB is between 950MHz and 2500MHz, so a video distribution amplifier certainly wouldn't be capable of amplifying the range of frequencies required.

Now, must go, Countdown is on.
      Last edited by Proppinupthebar; 09-07-08 at 03:39 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ermmmmm WTF .... the LNB on most sky installs now has 8 outs - there is no clever 'decoder' on the dish - all a LNB does is get the signal from the dish, and provide a connection so that you can cable to a box - the clever bits happen in the box itself - all that talk of polarity is rubbish - the polarity of the signal is fixed at the point of broadcast (from chilworth, where it then goes up to the sat to be broadcast back down within the footprint of that sat) the multiplexing (muxing) also all happens at point of broadcast.

When the signal via a cable hits the back of the box it THEN gets decoded - in a Sky+ box there are TWO decoders - hence the need for TWO cables (this then gives the ability to watch and record TWO different channels, as each 'signal' is being independantly decoded, and either made available to view OR record - the problem in spiltting a cable is all about impedence, and F all to do with all the other crap i see posted here, so a VDA (video distribution amp) may be required if the cable run from the box to the dish is too long, as by splitting the cable you are reducing the 'noise' level of the signal, and if this level is reduced to much, no picture! By using a VDA you therefore amplify the signal allowing it to be split without signal degredation - all very simple and all very basic electrictronics and shame on all the numpties filling this post with BS using words they've heard on countdown.

J McF

I would suggest you don't advise anyone else on splitting satellite feeds as you clearly do not have a clue what you are talking about.

You cannot split one satellite feed into two, RF yes but not the feeds from the dish.

Most Sky installs do not use octo LNB's, why would they, twin and quad yes but an octo is four outputs than most people will use.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pagga1 View Post
      Appreciate the ideas.....the stacker thing looks like it has potential, but i don't have access to the dish to fit the stacker, and even if I could, I would have to hope that there are 2 outputs from the LNB with my name on it....which seems unlikely....

Access to the dish and running cables is not an option. Anything I do will have to entail splitting the single feed from the socket in my living room, which so far sounds like it's not possible....

Thanks.....
      Then I think you are scuppered, there is currently no way of doing what you want. Also depending on how the system is set up you may not even be able to swap the LNB as some systems that have a distribution set don't use standard feeds.

Try to get hold of the company who installed and maintain it, they will let you know if there are any spare feeds and give you a cost to run in another cable, it's worth a call.

Does your neighbour have Sky, if not you may be able to borrow their feed, this will entail running a long patch lead from their connection to your box doesn't need to be permenant, although you may need a small hole in the wall between flats or out one window to the next, you could just remove it again if it becomes a problem.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

J McF
      Absolute rubbish, enough said.

Junty Mcfadden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Oh dear, I sense a wind-up. But just to pick up on one point of the many and various, there is only one decoder, a sky+ box records raw data to be decoded on viewing, however you use your Sky+ box, only one decode is ever required.
      you sense a wind up? i sense a numpty, look it is really very simple, you need TWO cables into a sky+ box because you are feeding to TWO seperate independant decoders within the box - this is what allows you to watch and or record TWO different channels at the same time (the ability to watch an ANYTIME or RECORDED propgramme whilst recording TWO channels is due to the streaming video coming from the harddrive within the box, it's a very clever bit of kit in so much as it allows three active streams - OK so at SKY we have kit that can have 6 active streams (see EVS broadcast equipment if you are an anorak for some very funky tech)

So all you pretendo-techs don't talk BS when there is an adult in the room - your just making yourself look more of a numpty - 2 cables, 2 decoders and some very clever data management - but i guess that's why i work as an engineer at sky because i can understand that

Love and kisses (but don't tell the misses)

Junty

Thanks

you sense a wind up? i sense a numpty, look it is really very simple, you need TWO cables into a sky+ box because you are feeding to TWO seperate independant decoders within the box - this is what allows you to watch and or record TWO different channels at the same time (the ability to watch an ANYTIME or RECORDED propgramme whilst recording TWO channels is due to the streaming video coming from the harddrive within the box, it's a very clever bit of kit in so much as it allows three active streams - OK so at SKY we have kit that can have 6 active streams (see EVS broadcast equipment if you are an anorak for some very funky tech)

So all you pretendo-techs don't talk BS when there is an adult in the room - your just making yourself look more of a numpty - 2 cables, 2 decoders and some very clever data management - but i guess that's why i work as an engineer at sky because i can understand that

Love and kisses (but don't tell the misses)

Junty
      LOL.

The Omneons play out more than six streams.

Theres one decoder within the Sky+. Two tuners but one decoder. The hard disc records the stream so it doesn't need decoding. It doesn't matter whether you are recording two channels whilst playing back a third, you only need to decode the one stream you are watching.

Theres two local oscillators within the LNB. One works at 9750MHz for low band signals, the second works at 10600MHz for high band signals. The STB sends out a 22KHz tone to tell the LNB which oscillator to use. Its not rocket science, look up the specs for a universal LNB. We are right and you aren't much of an engineer.

Your colleagues must have to follow behind you taking care of your lack of knowledge on satellite feeds.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Have it your own way mate. Life's too short to trade insults

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I was going to lock this thread, but it is just too dammed amusing.

Please don't make it personal though

Visit the Countdown Website
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 10-07-08 at 03:37 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Junty Mcfadden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

great pic - and it reminds me that as Des was a new dad in his 70's ... anything is possible

Thanks

... anything is possible
      Except you being an engineer............

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast