Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Output from sky+ to PC?

This is a discussion on Output from sky+ to PC? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello all, New poster here, and I've been trawling around through the forum to find an answer for this but ...

cab
      cab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01223
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Output from sky+ to PC?

Hello all,

New poster here, and I've been trawling around through the forum to find an answer for this but as yet have failed to do so.

Just ordered Sky+ this morning. After asking nicely I got no discount, so I mentioned Virgin Media and got an excellent discount... Anyway, its due to be installed at the start of next month, and I'd like to be able to run a cable from the Sky+ box to my PC so that I can record to DVD from the Sky+ hard drive.

Is this feasible? If so, what kind of cable output do I need to connect to the Sky box, and is there a particular hardware/software upgrade I'll need for the PC? Is there a guide to doing this online somewhere?

Cheers for reading,

Cab.

2. Advertisement
      mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Output from sky+ to PC?

I may be wrong but I believe the only way you can do this would be using an analogue PCTV card and using the RF output from the Sky+ Box and then capturing the stream on the PC. This will take a while and will probably leave you with a very large file which will then need to be encoded and burned to TV. Not the easiest of processes and very time consuming.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

a video capture device(dazzle) is available also without getting a card but it is realtime capture to harddrive and then it takes hours to process edit and then burn to dvd, i tried a few years back to convert video to dvd for a friends wedding video and a 3 hour video took 8 hours to load and process and you need a good speed of processor and ram and hard disk space and dont try to do anything else whilst its running..
      buy a cheap dvd recorder and scart to scart from sky+ to burn disks, it'll be worth it in the long run i think 100 max for such a device buys decent quality

cab
      cab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01223
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That might well be the simplest option... I can use the money I saved by suggesting that I might go to Virgin Media to buy a DVD recorder. I'll investigate the PC options too, just to see if theres another approach that I'm missing, but DVD recorders are getting to a price range where they're worth having anyway.

Cheers

Mogman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01293
      Broadband ISP: Sky+
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just had a new Amstrad box installed replacing my Thompson one that failed. It has a USB connection on the front next to the card slot but no mention of it in the handbook. Any ideas?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mogman View Post
      I have just had a new Amstrad box installed replacing my Thompson one that failed. It has a USB connection on the front next to the card slot but no mention of it in the handbook. Any ideas?
      USB doesn't do anything, don't think it is even connected internally, future upgrade maybe.