Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky confirm USB function

This is a discussion on Sky confirm USB function within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; So, A girl from Sky's 'are you happy with everything' department rang me today and asked if I had any ...

kadeo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky confirm USB function

So, A girl from Sky's 'are you happy with everything' department rang me today and asked if I had any questions. I asked if she could answer technical questions and she said she could but anything too technical she would have to escalate (or something).

So I thought I'd try my luck and asked her if there was another way I could copy programs off the Sky+ box without having to put it through the DVD Recorder (Mine uses a video_rf folder and can't be opened with the likes of DVD Shrink).

Straight away she started telling me about the USB port. If I had a keydrive or a two way USB cable (there's one that isn't two way?) connected to a pc then the Sky+ box would recognise them and provide options for copying. She then told me to go and have a look at Samknows.com which is a forum about all Sky related stuff.

Obviously I tried it as soon as I got off the phone. Nuthin'. So went to Samknows.com and it only seems to be related to broadband generally, not even Sky's specifically.

So, my question is where did that come from? She answered me like she's getting these queries every day. Even seemed to be quite pleased that she had successfully answered what she thought was gonna be a difficult technical question.

So Sky's telling me that it can be done and rumours have been abound about this for months/years. Can it be done or not? I wonder if Sky staff have been trained for a pending release of this option and she just forgot it wasn't released yet (I work in a call centre too, trust me, this happens all the time). Supposing this is the case, how would the USB ports be activated? Would it need to be a telephone line update? Cos mine's not connected and if Sky have already released it then I wouldn't have got the update.

Does anybody have any concrete answers?

Kadeo

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky confirm USB function

As far as i know the USB port is only able to charge an ipod at the minute. I think that the port is for future expansion such as Video on demand.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky confirm USB function

Sounds to me as if she was trying to liven up a dull Saturday morning by baiting an innocent punter!