Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Widescreen format problem

This is a discussion on Sky+ Widescreen format problem within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi there, I'm a complete newbie here. Wonder if you can help. Just bought a new Toshiba LCD TV, and ...

Haylamar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ Widescreen format problem

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie here.

Wonder if you can help. Just bought a new Toshiba LCD TV, and am having real problems getting the screen to adjust automatically for Sky+ for 16:9 and 4:3.

My TV is set to adjust automatically depending what signal it is receiving and it works perfectly in Digital TV and for my Digital DVD recorder. But for some reason it is not picking up the difference in signals from my Sky+.

It did work at one point - don't know what I did - but I inadvertently pressed the picture size button on my remote and it won't change automatically at all now. I called Toshiba and Sky when I first had this problem when I got the TV set up initially a few days ago, but they both said there wasn't anything they could suggest.

I have tried the settings on my TV, tried the settings in Sky - currently set for 16:9 TV, tried different scart leads, tried different scart slots on the TV, tried viewing sky through my AV channel on my DVD recorder but nothing works. I have spent 2 hours on this now and I am about to pull my hair out!!

Do you think it's a problem with my box?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Advertisement
      silverfox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Widescreen format problem

I don't think it is anything to do with your Sky box. I have to set the picture to size every time I switch on. Having asked the question here before got the answer " it is because you will have short fat men if it was set to widescreen " . No intelligent answers so I just gave up asking.
      Sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for, but just reporting what info I received when I asked.

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

hmmm, yes, in the sky box settings, there is a setting for scart control, set it to on then see what happens.

But there seems to be problems with LCD TVs, setting scart control on, i've had 2 LCD TVs 1 26", the other 32"(my current TV), 1st TV, developed a distorted line on the left side of the screen, Gave that one away to my parents, have seen the TV since and the distorted line has gone. Now my current TV 1st time having it, I had scart control on in the sky+ box settings(this setting is also on normal sky box), and the TV developed a thickish distorted line on the right of the screen, was there for a while up until xmas 2007, then I switched scart contol off, and now, altho I get stretched pictures, The distorted line seems to have disappeared. But, they seem to appear, only where the tv adjusts to the 4:3 ratio.

Some people don't care about 16:9/4:3 adjust settings, they just set it to 16:9 and leave it there.
      Last edited by jdsimp1234; 24-05-08 at 09:39 PM.

silverfox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I set mine to 16:9 and then switch the TV off it resets itself to 4:3. This seems to be the only way to view sky unless the programme itself is filmed in wide mode.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You have to make sure you connect the sky box to the TV via the TV out scart. Pin 8 on the scart is used to signal 4:3 or 16:9 by two voltage levels. On the VCR out scart the pin 8 voltage does not vary.