Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noisy Sky+ box

This is a discussion on Noisy Sky+ box within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hiya, I had Sky installed a week or so back, and have an Amstrad PRV3 Sky+ box. All's fine, bar ...

UKCougar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCACC
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Noisy Sky+ box

Hiya,

I had Sky installed a week or so back, and have an Amstrad PRV3 Sky+ box. All's fine, bar an initial teething problem where Sky+ wasn't enabled, 20 minute phone call to Sky's "technical" department having me reset the box in a number of vaguely different ways eventually sorted that out. But anyway.

The only thing is, it's really noisy. The fan runs constantly, even when it's in Standby. Is this normal behaviour, or is there something wrong with it? Is it something I can fix, or do I have to endure another tech support call?

I'm tempted to do an over-the-air firmware reload on it, but I don't want to knock out my Sky+ in the process after the faff getting it working in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated; between this, an Xbox 360 and the PC, my living room sounds like a server room and it's driving me daft.

Cheers,

Alan.

Oh - box details; Amstrad A2PO524, version 4F2111, OS version 1.31B03.

2. Advertisement
      ebacardi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noisy Sky+ box

Yes I ordered a Sky Plus box a while back - it was a Thomson and it had a noisy fan. I only needed it for occasional recording, but you could hear the fan going all the time. So I phoned Sky to cancel it and put the original box back. Unfortunately they went and cancelled the whole Sky contract by mistake incl tv, broadband and tv. So I wasn't able to make any phone calls, or connect in to my work. It was a nightmare that took months to sort out. Anyway I was hoping the new Amstrad models might be quiet so I could try again. But seems they're not any better. I don't know why they can't make them so the fan just comes on when you're recording. Is that a difficult thing to do?

kkpolobear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: billingshurst
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

the only boxes that are any good are the pace boxes

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I had a few call out's for noisy Sky+ boxes when I worked for them,Changing them did'nt make a whole lot of difference.All I can suggest is that you make sure the is enough ventilation at all sides of the box,that might help. The boxes do make some noise but that was one o the improvements Sky made with the HD after feedback from customers.
      And I found the Pace were the worst boxes,Thompson the best.

Thanks

Well, there's tons of ventilation around the sides. I do have the top partially covered (my Xbox 360 sits on top of it), but I wouldn't have thought that was enough to send it into meltdown.
      --

Cougar / Alan.

Thanks

Hm, ok, this is odd. Just had a phone call from Sky. "Can we interest you in Sky Talk?" - "Actually, I've already bought it" - "Oh, yes, so you have, sorry to bother you."

So then I said, before you go, I know this probably isn't within your remit but, my box is really noisy. He told me that it wasn't a common complaint that he was aware of and gave me a number for "Sky+ Direct"(?) - 08442 410 800. Fair enough.

About a minute later, my Sky+ crashed hard and went into standby. Coincidence or have they done something remotely? Anyway, I couldn't resurrect it, so I gave it a couple of minutes just in case and then pulled the plug.

Switched the box back on and it's jammed in standby still. After a few minutes, just as I'm thinking that it's dead, it flares back into life.

And... it seems to have been fixed. I'm not 100% sure just yet (cos my girlfriend's watching Big Celebrity Factor Come Dancing On Ice Island or some such nonsense and I'll get stabbed if I start buggering about with it) but it seems to be a lot quieter.

Hm.
      --

Cougar / Alan.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Doing a software download wouldn't cause you to lose Sky+ functionality. The functionality is enabled via a flag which is sent to and then stored on your smartcard.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Thanks

Funky, good to know. Ta.
      --

Cougar / Alan.