Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

S-Video to Composite Video Adapter

This is a discussion on S-Video to Composite Video Adapter within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Evening, I wish to copy programmes on my Sky+ to my LG DVD/Hard Drive Recorder. Unfortunately due to my set ...

Martin T is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mannofield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

S-Video to Composite Video Adapter

Evening,

I wish to copy programmes on my Sky+ to my LG DVD/Hard Drive Recorder. Unfortunately due to my set up at home the two Scart Sockets on my Sky+ and the two Scart sockets on my LG Recorder are both hooked up to other equipment.

The LG recorder has two other AV inputs and I thought that I would use one of them for connection to the Sky+. This I did by using the S-Video output and the phono audio output of the Sky+ to connect up to the composite video input (yellow phono socket) and audio input (red and white phono sockets) of the LG recorder.

I used a S-Video to phono socket adapter which I got with the Graphics card of my PC and was not being used along with your standard yellow, red and whte phono to phono cables.

The audio is great, picture is great......only one problem it is in black and white!

By process of elimination I've checked everything is ok by swapping cables etc and using a S-Video to S-Video cable to connect directly to the LG Recorder using the last AV input. I would use this arrangement but unfortunately the last AV input on the LG recorder is on the front (for Camcorders) and I don't want to have to plug and unplug every time I use this function.

Having looked around the net I see that this is a common problem with this type of adapter however others have aluded to the fact that adapters are available which transfer the video in colour?

Cutting to the chase I'm just wondering if anyone out there has purchased a S-Video to composite adapter which does transfer the video in colour and perhaps point me in the direction of a website which sells them?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: S-Video to Composite Video Adapter

S Video and composite are not directly compatible. S Video seperates the two colour difference signals from the black and white signal. When you connect your S Video output to the composite input of the DVD recorder you are as you have found only passing the black and white signal.
      Unfortunately it needs more than a cable to re-combine the colour difference and black and white signals. You will need some electronics as well. Devices are available, but as I said its not just a case of buying the right cable.

EDIT : Looks like its a simple circuit which can fit in a small plug - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD005.html
      Cheap and cheerful as long as you arent looking for very good quality.
      Last edited by Proppinupthebar; 09-03-08 at 10:56 PM.
      There is no p in Thomson.