Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hi from Newbie, and Sky+ box question

This is a discussion on Hi from Newbie, and Sky+ box question within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi All I am new here, and I discovered this site as I have just helped a friend set up ...

Farmer_Terry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi from Newbie, and Sky+ box question

Hi All

I am new here, and I discovered this site as I have just helped a friend set up her Sky broadband system.

However, having found you I have long wanted to ask whether my experience is common.

I have 3 sky+ boxes - 2xPace and 1xAmstrad. Over the last three or four years the Pace boxes have all glued up more or less regularly. Say once every couple of months, sometimes more frequently. The Amstrad box has only done it about twice in the same period.

Does this accord with other people's experiences?

2. Advertisement
      spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Hi from Newbie, and Sky+ box question

The Pace one's have always been crap,with Amstrad a close runner.Changed more of them when I worked for Sky than I did the Thompson,which I have.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If by "Glued Up" you mean "locked up/frozen" or crashed requiring a reboot? then yes I have the mark 2 Pace one and at least once every month or so it throws a wobbly, normally a power cycle sorts it out but a couple of times I've had to do a planner rebuild. I was just thinking the other night it has been behaving for a good 4 or 5 month's now when suddenly it powered of and rebooted infront of my eye's!!

Farmer_Terry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Koala5

If by "Glued Up" you mean "locked up/frozen" or crashed requiring a reboot?
      Yes, that is what I mean, and yes, a power down and reboot does fix it.

One of the Pace boxes is in our holiday flat and most weeks there is no problem, but with some people it will happen two or three times in a week, which suggests it is something in the way people use the box, but I have never been able to work out what.

The current tenant says that rather than locking up, it powers off. I have never experienced this myself, but he says it is happening two or three times a week. He will be watching a movie, and the box just powers down. What is doing that?

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_Terry View Post
      Hi Koala5

One of the Pace boxes is in our holiday flat and most weeks there is no problem, but with some people it will happen two or three times in a week, which suggests it is something in the way people use the box, but I have never been able to work out what.

The current tenant says that rather than locking up, it powers off. I have never experienced this myself, but he says it is happening two or three times a week. He will be watching a movie, and the box just powers down. What is doing that?
      It's more than likely a power supply problem.Happened on my old Pace box.If it is,it'll get worse.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_Terry View Post
      Hi Koala5

I dont know what causes it but as the guy above says it could be a power supply fault or something, it dosen't bother me as mine only dose it once every month or so, it always has for the last 3 years! thinking of going HD soon so wont be spending any money on trying to fix it.