Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Picture freezes - (not on recording)

This is a discussion on Picture freezes - (not on recording) within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I'm getting an increasingly regular problem whereby the TV picuture just freezes. This isn't on a recording, just watching normal ...

packerm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Picture freezes - (not on recording)

I'm getting an increasingly regular problem whereby the TV picuture just freezes. This isn't on a recording, just watching normal TV. If I go up one channel and then back again it starts working OK again (for a few minutes anyway). Seems to be interrmittant.

Reading various posts on here people do get similar problems but they seem to be when watching a recording as opposed to just normal TV.

Any ideas gratefully received

Cheers

Mick

2. Advertisement
      warweezil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWPM
      Broadband ISP: Enta
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Picture freezes - (not on recording)

I have the same problem - the freeze is cleared by shifting up and down one channel, I noticed tonight on Sky One if I "shuffle channels" it would clear for about 10 secs and freeze again, It also seems to be affecting recordings with strange Jumps in the dialogue and action on playback. Signal strength is good around 60-70%, Signal Quality is variable between around 50-80%. BBC1&2 ITV1 and News 24 are unaffected by the problem, but most other channels seem to be affected to some degree. if you leave it for several minutes it clears of its own accord and then freezes again shortly afterwards.

The installation was upgraded during the summer - around July and was fine till about 3 weeks ago.

Suggestions? (apart from a big hammer)

lallylou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have just had my fifth service call from an engineer in 6 months regarding the picture freezing problem.

So far I have had 4 new boxes, 2 cables, 3 LNB and 2 dishes!! all with exactly the same problem.

Engineer today has installed a brad new sky+ box and not a refurb machine and just waiting to see what happens

To you both i would suggest you call them back out and ask for a non refurb machine to see if this works any better than your old boxes.

If you talk to sky cust services and engineers they all say it not a problem and they dont know what going on.

My next option with them is to get their major tech team in - i was told today that involves handfull of tech engineers from sky headquarters coming in for whole day - what fun!!!

Will keep you posted as to what happens

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

One of the problems I came across on service calls was the little pin that secures the LNB to the dish arm often is'nt fitted so the LNB can slide out of the arm which can cause your problems.Also if the cable has been damaged & joined (a no-no),the cable may have water in it.That is common where the cable goes over the roof.
      If it's certain chanells,(301/302/107/108..)then it may be a fauly transponder on the LNB or box.
      One more thing.....Check for trees blocking the signal!!

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If it's a Thomson box, more than 12 months old, the cause will be a faulty power supply. Very common and easy to fix with a replacement PSU.