Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Running Cable Upstairs for Sky+ and multiroom

This is a discussion on Running Cable Upstairs for Sky+ and multiroom within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place or if this has been ...

lawman1981 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01389
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Running Cable Upstairs for Sky+ and multiroom

Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place or if this has been posted before.

I recently applied for multiroom so i could get sky+ for 49 quid. When the engineer came to my house to fit multiroom upstairs and the new sky+ box downstairs he advised me they werent covered by insurance to drill through the tiled dormer extension on my roof, so there for i couldnt get multiroom, so no sky+ for the 49 quid.

As i was a bit gutted i asked him if he couldnt go through the dormer could he run the cable up through existing holes in my wall and stairs where my old virgin cable had been. He didnt seem to keen and siad no while mentioned somethng about the length of the cable and used this as his excuse for not being able to run it upstairs.

I didnt really beleive him so i asked a friend who works for another TV firm who said he thought was nonesense. So have i just been unlucky getting an engineer who couldnt be bothered or is it actually true that they cant run cable over a certain length or upstairs? If it is the later then does anyone think i have a case to send a complaint letter to sky that might get this done the second time around?

Thanks Lawman1981

2. Advertisement
      danny2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Running Cable Upstairs for Sky+ and multiroom

Lucky son of a bitch excuse my language how did you get yours for 49 I got told by 3 different people on the phone it was 99 + 60 that sucks and they came today to fit the sky + multiroom. As for the extension thing I actually think he was really lazy like you pointed out and wanted to get out quickly you should of offered him a brew they usually do a better job my opinion anyway. When we first got sky installed sometime last year the engineer who came round did not mind going through our conservatory to install the box in the living room so the covered by insurance think is nonsense Im sure thats only for going up ladders to fit a Satellite dish what would be 2 high.

Once you asked him to do it differently, something what is alot easier to do he should of actually done the job The guy did tell me today though about the wiring that they cannot use to much of it so I just had a hole drilled underneath bedroom and linked a wire straight into my new box which he installed superbly.

if I was you I would phone sky up and tell them that one of there engineers generally refused to do anything at your house and your really angry and just simply try win them other and get deals and installation waived. How long have you been on Sky because they totally treat the existing customers like crap. Sorry im not much help ^_^
      Last edited by danny2008; 11-01-08 at 08:28 PM.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If I remember right when I got mine their was a clause that said standard installation only covered a cable run of so many metres ( think it was 30). This should not have been an excuse not to install though as any extra was chargeable at xxp/metre. Sorry cant remember the exact figures as it did not apply to me and the engineer was pretty good, he installed it in my back room but as i'd said i might want to move it to the front he made sure the cable was plenty long enough - theres about 15metres of slack under the floor.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks very much guys and sorry for the delay in replying, you have clarified my suspicions that the guy was just lazy and couldnt be bothered.

To cap all this off (hence the reson for the slow response) sky have also terminated my Sky Broadband account while cancelling the sky+ order, arrrrgh!! So 10 days without my Broadband connection. Me thinks a cheeky letter (still cant believe you cant actually talk to someone to complain) is required.

Thanks again mucxh appreciated

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danny2008 View Post
      How long have you been on Sky because they totally treat the existing customers like crap. Sorry im not much help ^_^
      I've been with them a year and a half, and i totally agree that they could not care less about existsing customers. But i feel there service has generally been quite good, if not great value for money

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good news folks, eventually. Weeks later, after numerous phone calls and a written letter i still had no response to my complaint.

I eventually emailed james.murdoch@bskyb.com and recieved a reply from AllCustomerCareEscalation@BSkyB.com from a very helpfull lady called Julie M.

She apologies for their error, explained the exact details of the tiled dormer incident by which they are not covered to drill through, and also the standard cabling included in the sky+ installation, which is as follows:

20 metres of cabling from the satellite dish to the Digibox
      20 metres of cabling from the digibox to the TV link (where the TV link has been ordered at 85.00 (GBP))
      10 metres of telephone cabling from the telephone socket to the modem

she then offered to fit sky+ for free, so I'am very happy that my issue has finally been resolved. I do believe they're customer service eventually sort issues out, it's just relaying those issues to sky thats the hard part, cheers =)

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lawman1981 View Post
      Good news folks, eventually. Weeks later, after numerous phone calls and a written letter i still had no response to my complaint.

I eventually emailed james.murdoch@bskyb.com and recieved a reply from AllCustomerCareEscalation@BSkyB.com from a very helpfull lady called Julie M.

She apologies for their error, explained the exact details of the tiled dormer incident by which they are not covered to drill through, and also the standard cabling included in the sky+ installation, which is as follows:

20 metres of cabling from the satellite dish to the Digibox
      20 metres of cabling from the digibox to the TV link (where the TV link has been ordered at 85.00 (GBP))
      10 metres of telephone cabling from the telephone socket to the modem

she then offered to fit sky+ for free, so I'am very happy that my issue has finally been resolved. I do believe they're customer service eventually sort issues out, it's just relaying those issues to sky thats the hard part, cheers =)
      Unfortunatly,Sky are literally anal when it comes to installs,Some of the stuff we were NOT allowed to do was;
      Run CT100 cables around skirting or door frames by clipping or staples (The only two methods bar glueing!)
      Run cables thru roof-spaces or thru ceilings/floors.
      Run cables under skirting boards or carpets
      The are numerous other things like if we went into the stoors & were not wearing our fall/arrest harness,we would be sent home.
      Glad I'm away from it to be honest.