Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Box Freezes All The Time

This is a discussion on Box Freezes All The Time within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, Our Sky+ box (Thomson with Anytime TV) has recently started freezing a lot and interrupting recordings. These are only ...

DeclanTM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DG834PN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Box Freezes All The Time

Hi,
      Our Sky+ box (Thomson with Anytime TV) has recently started freezing a lot and interrupting recordings. These are only when trying to play back recorded things on the planner, the front panel indicator starts displaying the spinning green circle but the recording never plays and the box freezes requiring a power cycle at the plug. This is very annoying, especially if the box was in the middle of a recording as it gets interrupted.

Tonight the box changed it's symptoms and now when trying to play back some recordings the box does not play them, just reacts like you have never pressed select button. At this point the backup button does not work but pressing Sky gets you back to TV so the box doesn't completely freeze.

The hard disk has also became very loud, so my guess is that this is somehow damaged, I have tried calling Sky but because the box is just over a year old (November) they are not budging on a replacement/free repair and are wanting 60 GBP to send an engineer out to fix it.

When the recordings fail to work sometime going into the installer menu and selecting Sky+ Planner Rebuilt fixes the problem but only for a short period of time.

Basically I was wondering what was my best route to fixing the problem, paying the engineer, buying a new hard disk and fitting it my self or just sourcing my own replacement Sky+ box.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for any replies.

Declan

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Box Freezes All The Time

First off do a planner rebuild then when it's finished, unplug the box and leave for a couple of minutes. Then power it back up and do another planner rebuild.

If that doesn't work then you could try the full system reset though be warned, you'll lose all your recordings.
      Last edited by Saturday; 05-01-08 at 01:02 AM.