Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ box advice requested

This is a discussion on Sky+ box advice requested within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi folks, newbie here with a request for some advice if possible. We are now on our second Sky+ box ...

Mr&MrsH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ box advice requested

Hi folks, newbie here with a request for some advice if possible.

We are now on our second Sky+ box in a matter of 18 months. The first one would freeze and refuse to obey the controller and kept telling me the batteries needed replacing. This was changed after 7 months for a 'new' box - the engineer telling me it was faulty and he was 'seeing a lot with this problem'.

This 'new' box has now playing up for months (first reported to Sky 3 months after being installed). We now have problems with standby mode - it freezes and then won't turn on or off either by handset or manually. It has been 'reset' by Sky countless times and I have done the reboot thing myself countless times. It then works for a while but plays up again. I've lost all my programmes 3 times and I don't want to do that again if poss.

Latest thing is it won't let me play back my recordings. Just won't budge from the info screen in the planner. You can scroll to viewer defined time/end of programme thing but it won't play back. Back up button doesn't then work and you can only exit by hitting the TV Guide key. It records them normally as they are in the planner and the record light shows but that's it.

Sky won't come out unless we pay a 65 fee and then I expect they'll say it needs to be replaced at our expense. They insist it was a reconditioned box. Now I learn it is their practice to replace with reconditioned, not new, boxes. (We were told it was new by the engineer and I saw him remove all the labels and sticky films from the box but anyway they say it wasn't new).

They won't repair under warranty as they say the 'new' box only gets a 2 or 3 month warranty (despite the original box only being 9 months into its warranty period). Writing to them has done no good so we need to look at our options.

Are we better off just buying our own new box ('new' being the operative word) and forgetting Sky altogether? If so, is there a box type we should get? We've had Pace and our latest box is a Thomson 127k148. From what I've read some boxes are better than others. I'm assuming as I can't now play my recordings, there's nothing I can do to retrieve them?

Suffice to say my husband would dump the lot in the sea given the choice so we don't want/can't pay a fortune for something which is going to go wrong again in a matter of months but at the same time I'm p****d off paying 50 quid a month for something which isn't working.

Sorry for the great long post but any advice offered is gratefully received!
      (Don't suppose it makes any difference but our original 'non Sky+' box is now upstairs as a multi room thing).

Thanks.

Sue

2. Advertisement
      Fats Domino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ box advice requested

sadly it sounds like the HDD is knackered and your best bet is a new box but this will cost 99 plus install.sky do replace boxs with new only if they are within their first 3 months after that any faults and its refurbs and they only have 3 months but this shouldn't affect your original 12 month guarentee

have you tried a full system reset?Unplug box from the mains. Press and hold the two buttons either side of the select button, then plug back in while
      holding the two buttons in, wait until the lights on the front of the box begin to spin backwards, then press the select button on the box, the record light will come on. The box will then perform the reset, and will go back into standby when finished. This procedure will wipe off all your recordings, but you cant see them now anyway.

after that try a planner rebuild perss services then 4,0,1 then select.you will not see anything when pressing these buttons but if you do as i say you will get to the secret menu for installers.choose rebuild and let it run should take about 10 mins sometimes longer.after that if still no joy its a new box im afraid