Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sound problem with sky+ recordings

This is a discussion on sound problem with sky+ recordings within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; When I play back programmes I have recorded on sky + the sound keeps coming and going, does not match ...

snapperjw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

sound problem with sky+ recordings

When I play back programmes I have recorded on sky + the sound keeps coming and going, does not match the picture and it seems to be getting worse....

Help... Any ideas from anyone!!
      SnapperJW
      Max

2. Advertisement
      ChrisCornwall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: sound problem with sky+ recordings

Sorry I can't help you, but I have started having the same problems. My Sky+ box is just over 3 years old and has always been fine, but in the last few months it has had sound problems on anything recorded from the Movie channels, and now channels such as Bravo do the same whenever I record Gamer TV etc. Basically the sound is ok for about 5-10 seconds, then cuts out for maybe 2 seconds, usually accompanied by a high pitch squark. The obviously ruins the recordings (I tried to record some films about four times and it was the same each time).

BBC, ITV etc record fine, never had the same problems, we have Robin Hood, Casualty, X Factor on series link and never had any issues at all with the quality (other than the singing )

Could it be that the box needs some kind of "defrag" or something. Is there any "service menu" that I can enter to do this? The box usually has at least 10-15% free space, and I don't have the "live rewind" feature enabled (or whatever it is called). I was thinking it could be to do with the presumably higher bit-rate of the movie channels (with the 5.1 sound etc) causing the box to struggle, but that doesn't explain Bravo which generally looks to be worse than BBC/ITV. I'm also pretty sure that when I watch these programmes live the sound problem isn't there, it is only on the recording.

Thanks!
      Last edited by ChrisCornwall; 25-11-07 at 01:59 PM.

snapperjw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: sound problem with sky+ recordings

ok thanks for the reply...

My box is only at 50% capacity but there is a way to defrag the hard drive, go into Services, 4 system setup, then type 01 and press select a secret menu will appear here you can rebuild your planner which can sort out sky+ problems from time to time.... Did actually solve my sound problem but may help you
      SnapperJW
      Max

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: sound problem with sky+ recordings

Thanks, I will give it a try... One thing before I do, does "Sky+ Planner Rebuild" erase all of the the existing recordings? I've got quite a few things on "keep" that could do with being watched first... I've noticed that there is also a "Full system reset" option which perhaps formats the disk or something, though maybe I'd then have to run the "New installation" option afterwards to get working again. Does it just go and do it, or is there an "are you sure?" type prompt?

You've said this *did* solve your problem (planner rebuild), or is that a typo?

Thanks.

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: sound problem with sky+ recordings

These threads may well be worth a read and may also get you a new box if yours is one of those affected and you follow the advice given!

Sky+ PVR2 Sound is Skipping on Recorded Programmes

Sky+ Amstrad PVR3 sound is skipping on recorded programmes

Hope this helps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: sound problem with sky+ recordings

Thanks, it sounds like my problem so I will send an email and see what happens!