Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just bought sky+ box on ebay

This is a discussion on Just bought sky+ box on ebay within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; have i cocked up? I'm currently a sky tv subscriber and my box ISN'T connected to a bt line (old ...

Sky+Virgin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01953
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just bought sky+ box on ebay

have i cocked up?

I'm currently a sky tv subscriber and my box ISN'T connected to a bt line (old house only one bt box in hall), does it need to be for sky+ to work? do i have to pay any extra? can i just unplug my old sky digi box and plug in my new sky+ box?

your help would be very much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      connormill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kincorth, aberdeen, scotland
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Just bought sky+ box on ebay

hi
      it is my understanding that if you buy your own sky+ box you just connect it up and then phone sky with you viewing card number, serial number etc and they pair the card and box and it will work after that

normac26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brentwood
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Does it hav to plugged in for a year? if not, cant you run a temp phone extension to the box and then hook it up?

plank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Err... dont you need the sky+ satallite and 2 cables running from the sky+ sat (which i beleive can have up to 4 LMBs compired to sky with 1).

If you dont have the dish, i dont know how this will work - you only have one signal.

D

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You'll need an extra 'feed' from the dish, and therefore possibly a new LNB with more than one output.

With only one satellite feed to your sky plus box, you will only be able to record the channel you are watching. However, you can record one thing, and playback another at the same time.

As you have bought the equipment out right, you will not need to have the box plugged into the phone line all the time, however you might need it to 'marry' your card to your new box.

Sky+Virgin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01953
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      You'll need an extra 'feed' from the dish, and therefore possibly a new LNB with more than one output.

With only one satellite feed to your sky plus box, you will only be able to record the channel you are watching. However, you can record one thing, and playback another at the same time.

As you have bought the equipment out right, you will not need to have the box plugged into the phone line all the time, however you might need it to 'marry' your card to your new box.

oh blimey that may be a problem. the current sat cable runs under ground from back garden fence to whole in front of the house wall, how much are we looking at to get this extra cable supplied/supplied & fitted?

so if i bought Find Thomson Quad/Four way LNB for Sky/Sky+/Plus/HD BNIB on eBay within, LNBs, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 23-Nov-07 18:29:59 GMT)

or is this better?Find Sky Plus Installation Kit Quad LNB and Shotgun Cable on eBay within, Other Satellite Cable, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 23-Nov-07 22:01:16 GMT)

would i need to buy another cable as well?

sorry for being thick
      Last edited by Sky+Virgin; 21-11-07 at 11:33 PM.

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You can use the existing cable, and just add another one.

The first LNB you linked is the same one I use, and it works just fine. I have no experience with the second. Assuming there is enough length in the cable supplied with the second, that might be the one to get.

It is easy enough to fit yourself, just be careful not to move the dish when you replace the LNB. Then its just a matter of drilling the hole, digging a channel (or pushing an extra wire down a conduit) and screwing on the f connectors.

Its more satisfying when you do it your self. I wouldn't like to guess how much a satellite company would charge, but most will happily give a quote.